Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

paddle shifter vs button shifter, possible to "upgrade"?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 04:23 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: paddle shifter vs button shifter, possible to "upgrade"?

ORIGINAL: onepoint8tee

Obsesive compulsive
What? Who me? no idea what you're talking about… LOL

Old 02-08-2007, 04:33 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: jlinaschke

ORIGINAL: onepoint8tee

Obsesive compulsive
What? Who me? no idea what you're talking about… LOL
What? What happend?

Old 02-08-2007, 05:58 PM
3rd Gear

DSG has a clutch (actually 2 I think), tip has no clutch. A tip basically is an auto trans with a computer that tells it to shift when you flick it. DSG has a hydraulically controled clutch that is operated automatically via computer software (to my knowledge). It shifts faster than all but the best manual trans drivers.

Tip and DSG are 2 different animals...

Old 02-08-2007, 06:06 PM

Anything is possible for the right price, but I don't think your going to get that much pleasure out of paddles to justify the price tag that goes with this conversion.

Old 02-08-2007, 06:56 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: wood_e

DSG has a clutch (actually 2 I think), tip has no clutch. A tip basically is an auto trans with a computer that tells it to shift when you flick it. DSG has a hydraulically controled clutch that is operated automatically via computer software (to my knowledge). It shifts faster than all but the best manual trans drivers.
I looked it up; here's the Audi definition of DSG - now called S Tronic. However I still don't understand something… this says that it can be run in full auto, and has two clutches as you mentioned. Great. So there is no manual clutch that the driver depresses, right? So this is what we see in all Audi's today that have the auto or 'manual' option. Right?

That said… at what point did Audi start doing DSG/S Tronic vs. the supposedly inferior Tiptronic?

-Joseph

Old 02-08-2007, 09:13 PM

all this being said, i do like my tiptronic during heavy traffic, other than that i so much rather prefer manual for my driving style...

one of the other problems is that im almost done with the maximum amount of tuning i can do with my car... anything more than the K04 without a level 10 trans. upgrade will have serious impacts on your trans.

overall in my opinion it comes down to how much power the trans can hold, let alone how much more directly connected you feel to a manual car...

if i had my choice id have a manual, but i make due and i find joy in the tiptronic occasionally

Overall, it depend on what you plan to do with the car, and your driving habits... to each his own

P.S... in proper driving techniques, at high speed you would downshift as you are decelerating just upon coming up to the hairpin corner, shifting while in the hair pin could theoretically cause your car to spin out or run off the road...

just my $.02

Old 02-09-2007, 04:38 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: StepUpProductions

P.S... in proper driving techniques, at high speed you would downshift as you are decelerating just upon coming up to the hairpin corner, shifting while in the hair pin could theoretically cause your car to spin out or run off the road...

bingo

manual trans is far superior for the "driving enthusiast"

i personally wont have a can anyother way, unless its for a daily commute through traffic

Old 02-09-2007, 04:55 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: StepUpProductions

aww, yeah I know. But com'on, how many of you have ever gone into an unfamiliar turn and decided you needed to drop one more gear?

go on, admit it ;-)

Old 02-09-2007, 10:17 PM
4th Gear

With the right knowledge and budget you can have paddle shifters installed. All you'd have to do is fabricate brackets and rewire/splice/solder the connections from the buttons to the paddles. This would be an interesting project. Tiptronic is great if you have to deal with traffic everyday, I prefer a manual just for the once in a while spirited driving, but sometimes I'm glad I have a tip.