Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Options for a chip

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 09:54 PM
1st Gear
Default Options for a chip

Alright its time to upgrade the ecu. I am going to go with GIAC but they take your ecu and give you a different one that has the upgrade. I noticed APR has the options of security lockout, valet mode, 1-4 programs. Are these options necessary? I have contacted the reps but I want an unbiased opinion between APR and GIAC which has the better support. I dont like the fact that I have to go through AWE to get the GIAC chip where as APR is direct. Can someone who has made this impossible decision tell me the process of the GIAC chip, did you guys go through AWE or somewhere else? I dont want to have a shop do it because I only want my hands on my car ( I do all my own work). Sorry of the noob question but its unclear on their websites. And for those of you that have the GIAC chip how much is the "back to stock option" thanks again in advance.

Old 02-26-2007, 10:25 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Options for a chip

You have a B5 so GIAC is going to be best for you. APR offers the an option to have several different programs installed - stock, chipped, valet, 93 octane gas, or 100 octane gas. - no real use for the daily driver car - if you want to make your car feel stock when you bring it in to get worked on, then would have use for the valet function but its not worth $220 to me.
As for AWEtuning - that is GIAC's store front. They are literally in the same building out in cali. If you don't have a local dealer around you then you must go through them. I would rather have a tech at AWE solder my chip in than some local kid that took an electronics course in High School. Plus, it only takes two days before you have the chip back to you. And they pay shipping.
GIAC, does not offer the same thing as APR for changing back to stock - to change GIAC back to stock you would need to either have a spare ECU or have your ECU "unchipped" no Idea on the cost.

Hope this helps

Old 02-27-2007, 01:02 AM
1st Gear

thanks akielb, I thought other people on this forum would have some input on chips but I guess they dont know, other than just bashing noobs. I have done a lot of research on chips but I just dont like that AWE is going to give me somebody elses ecu rather than just soldering the chip onto mine. I dont see a lot of people with apr in a b5 so I guess its for a reason. Havent made up my mind yet, I cant see dropping $400+ on a chip blindly.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:09 AM
1st Gear

no when you send AWE your ECU they chip it and Return your ECU to you. I think they also have the optionof a socket for the ECU..

Old 02-27-2007, 01:09 AM
Site Moderator

Try a search. Its been talked about a zillion times. None of the tuning companies give you a different ecu or someone elses ecu. I think you are misunderstanding that. You either take out and ship your ecu to them and they chip it, or you go there and they remove your ecu and they chip it. I have never heard of AWE or any other tuning company giving you a different ecu.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:13 AM
4th Gear

You get your own ECU back. If your tuner is local drive the car there and they will chip it while you wait. Took 15 minutes to solder in my APR chip.

Old 02-27-2007, 02:31 AM
1st Gear

a zillion times huh? Alright I misunderstood the website, the option of a different ecu is if you purchase a stock ecu to have with your chipped ecu. What I wasnt sure of is why you couldnt go direct with GIAC and you can with APR its a legitimate question and I have never seen this question asked yet since I have been a member. I am on a tight budget and want full support from a company if something goes wrong.

Old 02-27-2007, 02:39 AM
2nd Gear

I just talked to GIAC the other day and they said I had to pay shipping for the ECU both ways. I was like WTF?

Old 02-27-2007, 02:50 AM
3rd Gear

Sorry, I was thinking about APR via ECS when i said free shipping.

Old 02-27-2007, 02:55 AM
Site Moderator

Well, 80% of your questions have been talked about a zillion times. The part about getting someone elses ecu, or a stock ecu in addition to having your ecu chipped is different. I wouldnt not pick or discountGIAC for having to pay shipping for your ecuVs APR's free shipping. APR is nice and smooth, but for the B5, most people will agree thatGIAC is the best suited for that chasis. Im saying that because I've driven both and so have others. Of course you already knew that because of your past research, so Ill shut up about that.
http://giacusa.com/dealers.php