Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok time to get to the bottom of this!(Added VAG log)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 09:11 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Ok time to get to the bottom of this!

Do the new tires have the same outer diameter old ones?
I'm thinking the new ones have a larger diameter.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:16 PM
2nd Gear

Yeah I was thinking about that, thats probably the reason it has slipped just a little under 20 recently, that makes sense. But still 20 is way too low for the kind of driving I do, and I don't drive hard either. I don't think I am expecting anything amazing, I am just floored that I was getting like 28 when I first got it. That's why I think something has gone awry.

I ran a fuel system cleaner about 4-5 tanks ago, and then the last tank(that ran out yesterday) I ran Slick 50 in it.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:20 PM
Site Moderator

Get a chip. My mpg went up when i got mine (when driving conservatively/highway.)

Old 02-23-2007, 09:25 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: onepoint8tee

Get a chip. My mpg went up when i got mine (when driving conservatively/highway.)
Been wanting to get chipped, I am even considering giving Inmotion a try. Hmm... but I still think that there is something else I can do! Argggg.... [:@]

Old 02-23-2007, 09:42 PM
2nd Gear

What you are looking for on the vag should be the long term fuel trim, it should be close to 0 but can go + or - up to 20 or down to -20. If the number is high or low (twards the 20ish range) your o2 sensor could be going bad but is not bad enough to throw a code yet. You may also want to try to look at the maf readings to see if they are at or close to 100% efficiency if not clean it or replace it. I would bet it has something to do with the wheels and tires.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:46 PM
2nd Gear

The wheels and tires have only been on there for maybe 2 tanks of gas. I have been getting this crappy mileage for like 3 months or more now.

How do find the long term fuel trim? And MAF?

Oh yeah, and when I changed my air fiilter, I took my MAF out and it looked flawless, not dirty at all...

Old 02-23-2007, 09:54 PM
2nd Gear

I've never used vag com so I don't know where it is at on it, sorry I work at Toyota. If there is an active test mode on it that would show maf readings I believe (similar to datalogging). They both should be shown somewhere in there though.

Old 02-24-2007, 09:29 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: alias747

Yeah I was thinking about that, thats probably the reason it has slipped just a little under 20 recently, that makes sense. But still 20 is way too low for the kind of driving I do, and I don't drive hard either. I don't think I am expecting anything amazing, I am just floored that I was getting like 28 when I first got it. That's why I think something has gone awry.

I ran a fuel system cleaner about 4-5 tanks ago, and then the last tank(that ran out yesterday) I ran Slick 50 in it.
sounds like your wheels/tires are making it go down. i had a saab 9/3 turbo that i put a set of bbs (really light) 17's on. The computer told me i was getting 24 miles a gallon, before i could easilyu get 29 on the highway. it also threw off my speedo and od reading. with the bigger wheels the od was showing less miles than i was actually drive, that may have thrown off the mpg also.

Old 02-24-2007, 09:36 PM

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115367

Old 02-24-2007, 11:20 PM

does your city run oxygenated fuel during thewinter? here in the NW we run oxegenated fuel in the winter months for emissionspurposes, because of that we get less mileage in the winter, combo that with heavier wheels and it might be your problem, but who knows.

Quick Reply: Ok time to get to the bottom of this!(Added VAG log)