Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK! /Sercive! huh?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 04:50 PM
1st Gear
Default OK! /Sercive! huh?

Okay here it goes. i got a 2001 a4 1.8t. The LED display on the dash has on the top 1/3 an orange/yellow section. The rest is displayed in red. When i start my car the orange section lights up with the OK! display and at the same time the red section says Service! Im confused by the double meaning and am not sure what it means. Does it mean anything or is it just what happens? As long as i can remember it has always done it but i thought i should figure out what it really means before something bad happens.

One other thing. I have basicaly figured this problem out but any other imput would be kool. When my car starts, it makes a loud racketting sound, but the sound stops within seconds of ignition(louder if car has sat for more than 30 minutes but usualy the same length.). After talking to numerous mechanics the conclusion was that the oil lifters are wasting away and oil isnt sitting at the top of my engine but sinking down past the oil lifters. So when my engine starts it rattles because it is pushing the oil through the system, once it has gone through the sound stops. It is the oil lifters not filter, incase you jumbled the word. The sound is no different if the clutch is in or out. sometimes i think it might effect it if i let the clutch out but i think it is just coincedence. other than that the mechanics said it isnt bad for the engine, it is just annoying, and starting my car around girls or friends who like cars makes it annoying as well.

Old 11-22-2006, 05:05 PM
Default RE: OK! /Service! huh?

the light you say is a service light its due one, use good quality synthetic oil and change the oil filter this should quite the lifters down

Old 11-22-2006, 05:25 PM
4th Gear

Yeah, put some good oil in there and see if it helps.

mobile 1 0w40 full synthetic is my reccomendation.

Old 11-22-2006, 05:45 PM
1st Gear

if you can help it don't have audi do service unless you have deep pockets, $270.00 for and oil change and new pollen filter, can you say BS.

Old 11-22-2006, 05:49 PM

Change the oil using Mobil 1 like acetrebo stated, and it should calm it down some. If it continues to make a lot of noise I'd suggest using Lucas Oil's Synthetic Oil Stabilizer. It helps quiet down engines pretty good, and is a top quality product. Chances are the lifters are wearing and that'd explain why it sounds the way it does.

Edit - Most Mobil1 Service Stations (quick lubes) charge $59.99 for a fully synthetic oil change. Depending on what engine you have it is going to take more than the standard 5 quarts, so expect to pay up to $20 extra for the added oil. There is no need to pay for the Extended Performance unless you plan on driving it in far excess of your normal oil change. I run 0w-40 syn, and change my oil every 3K just because I am **** about it.

Old 11-22-2006, 05:52 PM

ORIGINAL: GTOrleans

if you can help it don't have audi do service unless you have deep pockets, $270.00 for and oil change and new pollen filter, can you say BS.
this is dealers for you what do you expect

Old 11-22-2006, 05:59 PM
18T
4th Gear

quit spreading lies. the dealers charge 60$ for an oil change synthetic. my dealer is at 135$/h

anyway, the OK means your car has started up and is ok and the ladder means that youhave reached a service interval and you need to go in and get an oil change and also get the computer reset.

Old 11-22-2006, 06:02 PM
2nd Gear

how do you get the computer reset, I got my oil changed and but the light is still there

Old 11-22-2006, 07:17 PM
1st Gear

same here, i change my oil every 3K and it isnt due for 500 more miles, and the light is still on. Also where can i take my car besides a dealership to get the computer reset? also this isnt a light it just says the word Service! in red. I am pretty sure my personal mechanic used 10w 40 synthetic oil, wich ive always told him to use, and the loud sound persists. Thanks for the helps guys.

Old 11-22-2006, 07:20 PM

button A is the odometer under the speedo and B is the dimmer under the rev counter.

OEL-OIL service light

press and hold button A,
switch ignition on,
release button A,
the letters OEL or OIL will appear in the odometer display of the speedometer.
pull out button B until the letters are erased and replaced by *--*
that's the oil service light reset..

now the inspection service light.

press and hold button A.
switch ignition on.
release button A.
the letters INSP will appear in the odometer display of the.
if required clear the OEL-OIL indicator from the display as previously described