Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok I don't get the radio code thing...

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 02:50 PM
1st Gear
Default Ok I don't get the radio code thing...

Hello,

I'm new to the forums so try not to lash me to bad. I'm trying to install an IceLink Plus into my car and I've pretty much found everything I need using the search function in here. But I read one post about obtaining a radio code before starting. Tried searching this and I can't get a concrete answer on what this thing actually is? Can I obtain this radio code before I start the installation. It seems like every post I've read, the person has already pulled it out and now they're screwed....

Questions:
What is a radio code and why do I need one?
Can I obtain the radio code before I start?

I have a 2007 Audi A4 2.0T

Thanks

Old 01-15-2007, 03:15 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Ok I don't get the radio code thing...

You have an 07 and no owners manual??????????

Answers:
Its for security
Check your owners manual (should be an audio "brochure" witht the code written down in the back)

Old 01-15-2007, 03:19 PM
1st Gear

Yea, that was the part I didn't understand. I was like how the hell can they sell me a car from the Audi dealer and not give me this code. I felt like it's something I should get for free. I guess I didn't realize all the other posts were about used Audi's or older ones. I found it in my Radio Manual and it now all makes sense.

Although one more question. Why is it that the battery needs to be disconnected to install ipod integration i.e. dice, phatbox, icelink etc. What's the worst that can happen? A blown fuse...if I didn't have my radio code, I'd rather blow the fuse then deal with the radio code?

Old 01-15-2007, 03:23 PM
Site Moderator

uh... the radio code is not a difficult concept. if you have a problem doing it the right way maybe you shouldnt be doing it at all. you have to disconnect the battery because you could short something out and fry it. disconnecting the battery is the logical safething to do when working on electronics. if you disagree, take it to a pro or be prepared for the worst.

Old 01-15-2007, 03:29 PM
1st Gear

lol, i think you misunderstood me. I'm totally ok with doing the radio code now that I have it. I've just read alot of posts about this radio code thing. Although I do hear your point about frying something...I really doubt the simple unplugging of a cable and plugging in another cable will fry something. You may lose a fuse but fry the actual electronics? Cautious is a good thing...but if it were me without a radio code...i would do it with the battery connected. Just playing devils advocate here..maybe it is naive of me to think this way. I respect what your saying onepoint.

Old 01-15-2007, 03:44 PM
Site Moderator

A fuse wont save you/your cars *** if a short circuit is large enough. The reality is, 95% of the time you dont need to worry, but are you really willing to take even a slim chance on killing other major components in your car? It doesnt take long to disconnect the battery as a safe gaurd. I dont see how its an inconvenience. If you didnt have a radio code, then i can see taking the chance since the dealer probably charges an *** load to figure it out for you. Disconnecting the power source whenever working with electricity is always wise. Its a good habit to get into for the safety of the things you are working on and for your own personal safety.

Old 09-19-2007, 07:08 PM
1st Gear

yea good idea!