Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil sludge

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 07:43 PM
Default oil sludge

So my minimum oil light has been coming on every so often. I need an oil change pretty bad but with school i wasnt able to do it until this weekend, but during the week when i was topping off the oil i notticed what appears to be oil sludge. Is there anything i can do to help the cause?? I havent done oil change yet but before i do so i was planning on running some seafoam through it. i used it on my truck numberous times and it always helped, but is there anything else i can do?? what about going to the dealer about this?? i have had nothinng but bad experiences with my dealer on CPO warrenty work. thanks

barrett

Old 01-19-2008, 07:49 PM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force
Default RE: oil sludge

Is this a joke?

Old 01-19-2008, 08:09 PM
I'm make believe

if you have oil change records, the dealer will fix it. If not, your sol. Then you basically have to clean the oil pick up and seafoam the rest of the engine

Old 01-19-2008, 09:43 PM
3rd Gear

The minimum oil light is one of those you only want to see in the manual.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:51 PM
I'm make believe

tell that to benny(something). He thinks its fine when it comes on.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:56 AM

Well i dont have the oil change records; this is the second oil change i have had to do, the car was purchased last march and theirs less than 13K ive put on, looking at almost 48000 on the clock. SO what can i do, and for a basic question: where can the oil be goinng?? Just burining off?? i really dont have an idea.....and you think i would have better luck if i mention it to the dealer now??

barrett

Old 01-20-2008, 02:11 AM
I'm make believe

you can see what the dealer would do for you. But if your not leaking oil there is only3 places it can go. First is down the cylinders with bad piston rings (not likely with your milage), bad pcv and it going to the intake, probably happening, but the oil consuption is way to high if you keep adding in oil. The last option is a leaky valve cover gasket, very likely. Check around the cover for oil leaking everywhere. The only thing about that is, you probabaly would have noticed smoke from the oil burning unless its not hitting anything hot enough.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:05 PM

Ill go check on the anywhere outsid ehte engine tomorrow if its not raining. As for the smoke there has been no smoke coming from the engine for the exhaust, there is a slight smeel sometimes but its not that bad.

barrett

Old 01-22-2008, 02:37 AM
1st Gear

Usually what I do with my engines when it comes to oil changes and making sure sludge and all that fun crap isn't in there. Is a couple days before I plan on doing my oil change I put sea foam in the engine. I don't like having it in there for too long since it acts as a oil thinner, and drops the weight of the oil causing it to be a lighter weight oil(duh).

When I do my oil change after it's drained, I usually grab another thing of sea foam, and lucas oil stabalizer.Add both of those, and add a quart or 2 more oil, run the engine for alittle while. Then come back and top it off with a little heavier weight oil.

Bottom line, all the cars I've had run really well with no knocks, clicks, bangs, ticks. Always run nice and smooth, and nice and strong.

You prob. don't have to use a stabalizer for lower miles, but I like to any way. Can't hurt the engine right? *shrugs*

Old 01-22-2008, 10:42 AM
1st Gear

You've put 13k on your 1.8 with only 1 oil change??? You should be changing that out within 3k, 5k tops.

Quick Reply: oil sludge