Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil sludge...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 01:28 AM
kd
1st Gear
Default Oil sludge...

Hi there,

the low oil pressure lamp came on last night and this morning I took my car to the dealer and they said its an oil sludge. I've been reading a lot about it and realize its pretty bad but my dealer said that Audi covers this if the car is less than 8 years old and/or has less than 80,000 miles. They said it'll be a couple of days and they will need to order all the parts. My question is, how do they fix the problem? Do they change the engine or rebuild it and if they rebuild it what do they do to the engine? Later on, does it say somewhere (title or carfax) that the engine was rebuilt? Btw, the car is 2003 A4 1.8T 37,5000 miles.

Thanks

Old 04-24-2007, 01:38 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Oil sludge...

I know using Seafoam is a way to DIY an oil sludge problem. no idea what the dealer does. don't know to what extent they will go when its covered under warranty.

Old 04-24-2007, 10:44 AM
4th Gear

What kinda oil have you been putting in it man... and how often?

And yeah it is a pretty big issue... unsure what the dealers actions are. Just make sure they don't ask you to pay any fees. From how you typed it they seem like a decent dealer (If that even exsist)

Good luck with the issue

Old 04-24-2007, 12:35 PM
kd
1st Gear

Well, I bought the car maybe 3 months ago and in this period I changed oil only once. I had Pentosin synthetic oil 5-40 in it. I don't know what the previous owner used and how often they changed the oil. The dealership seems nice abt the issue, they already got a rental car for me while my car is being fixed.

Old 04-24-2007, 07:31 PM
4th Gear

Yeah its the previous ownes fault.. got his records?

Old 04-24-2007, 08:39 PM
1st Gear

just consider it a great thing you caught it when you did! and the dealer is just taking care of it for you

I had a sludge issue in my 2000 1.8T and I got rid of it myself.. long story short they will probably replace the oil pump first and open up the valve cover and clean out any sludge in there ..also when they drop your oil pan they will clean that up too..

thats probably about it

I ran kero and diesel in my engine and performed a auto rx treatment which I am almost thru with

no more oil light for me!

Old 04-24-2007, 08:42 PM
1st Gear

My 1.8t made it to 47k miles. I called Audi of America and got them to put in anew engine for free. Call Audi and get a customer support advocate.

Old 04-24-2007, 08:47 PM
1st Gear

They put in a whole NEW engine?? Daltvater?? Seriously??

Old 04-26-2007, 01:02 AM
kd
1st Gear

I don't have previous owner's records but I think that the car was being leased from the same dealership so they might have access to the maintanance records. Btw, I got the car back today, it took them 2 days to fix everything and the total was around $1,900. If anyone cares, from the receipt i see that they replaced oil filter, changed oil, replaced oil pipe, line, several gaskets, washer, several pipes, valve, hose, gasket set, some clips...and they covered everything like they promised so can't really complain :-)

Old 04-26-2007, 01:23 AM
4th Gear

You didn't pay 1900 then? right..?

Quick Reply: Oil sludge...