Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil level 1.8t

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 02:13 PM
1st Gear
Default oil level 1.8t

Sorry I keep posting allot of dumb questions but im really new to the Audi world, anyways. I have a 2001 a4 1.8t and I changed the oil in the car with some Mobil 1 5/30 full synthetic. I let the oil drain all night before filling it up. In the morning I filled it and started the car. The car seemed to make a clicking noise but then went away. I filled the oil up with 4.3 Qt. like the manual told me to. I looked at the dip stick and it showed it over the mark, can you tell me what is going on, the green line is where I think it should be and the yellow is where its at now.

Old 10-06-2007, 02:25 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: oil level 1.8t

Umm... Looks like you didn't drain all the oil somehow. Your sure you took the oil drain plug out and not something else like your transmission fluid? In that pic it looks like you doubled how much oil you have.

Josh

Old 10-06-2007, 07:09 PM
1st Gear

I know it looks like I added new oil without removing the old oil.... but I can assure you this isnt what happened. Below I have a picture of the plug that I drained the fluid from. I'm pretty darn sure this is the engine oil.Do you guys think there could be a blocked oil passage somewhere? If so, what do you guys recommend?

Old 10-06-2007, 07:16 PM
Site Moderator

Mine does the same thing on occasion. Usually only when it's running or has run within a few minutes of checking it.

Old 10-06-2007, 07:18 PM
1st Gear

I had let my car cool down for about four hours and still the same thing... any more ideas?

Old 10-06-2007, 09:18 PM
1st Gear

Any ideas? It’s kind of a big dilemma for me . I have no idea what this could be other then a clogged oil passage. I only drove the car around the block and checked the oil after it cooled down. I thought when you removed oil from a motor it should not just reappear. That’s why I think a blocked oil passage.

Old 10-07-2007, 03:24 AM
4th Gear

I think 4.3 Qt is a bit much. Car usually takes 3.8 quarts. Is this the first time you've changed the oil? Are you sure that the Orange dipstick funnel isn't half snapped off letting your dipstick go down an inch farther than it should?

Old 10-07-2007, 12:24 PM
1st Gear

I think I might have figured it out. I was looking around and I saw the dipstick tube and part of the dipstick was shattered. About ¾ inch was gone. That would make sense for the extra oil depth on the dipstick. Although, I do not have a vacuum problems that would be noticed with this. Here is a picture, what do you people think about this? (SIDNOTE: i looked at the dipstick just before i read the last post^^^)

Old 10-07-2007, 03:04 PM

ya my dip stick tube cracked too, its an easy fix,
but 4.3 Qt. i think is a bit much, on my 2000 it takes exactlty 4, and im not sure but i was at the dealer ( buying the dipstick tube) and a customer asked if he should put 5w30 in the car and the guy told him that 5w30 is conventional oil not synthetic, not sure if thats true or not, i no mine takes 5w40,
I would get new dip stick and tube ASAP so that u have the right amount of oil in there.

Old 10-07-2007, 03:15 PM
I'm make believe

this may sound like a stupid ?, but did you remove and install a new filter? I say this because you never onced mentioned it and there is about that much oil stored in the larger oil filters. If you did change them, then im sorry for asking.

Quick Reply: oil level 1.8t