Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leak problem! Urgent!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 06:03 PM
Default Oil leak problem! Urgent!

1999 A4 1.8t quattro tiptronic.

This morning I took my car out to get some coffee, I suddenly notice the oil level low signal has came on, after I get back to the house I found a fresh puddle of oil in the driveway, and it was also leaking while I took it out for a short drive. The car was perfectly fine till today when I found the problem, didn't drive it at all yesterday. It was also very cold for the last 2 days (around 15F). The oil leak seems to come from somewhere around the oil filter area, however the mechanics at oil change place changed the oil filter and it's still leaking oil (quite a bit too! like a stream of oil keep coming out..) whenever the the engine's turned on (no leaking when it's off). Oil pressure is also low (considering oil keeps leaking). The puddle of oil in the driveway is relatively "fresh" doesn't seem like it leaked overnight but rather started leaking when I started up my engine this morning....Just took it to an actual mechanic to have my car diagnosed, hopefully I'll hear from them soon. I am wondering if anyone had the same sort of experience or a brief idea of what went wrong? Any info is much appreciated.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:17 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Oil leak problem! Urgent!

Sounds like they didn't tighten the oil filter enough.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:22 PM
Tech Slut

the "housing" that the filter screws into can get loose... there is a tube that has threads on it that screws into the oil filter, remove the oil fiulter and tight that tube into the "housing"... its a pain in the *** cuz you have to waste all the oil but its how you fix it

Old 01-21-2008, 06:27 PM

Thanks for the quick replies guys, the problem is, the oil was leaking before we change out the oil filter. As the mechanics was changing it, he even had problem taking the old one off because it was connected so tight into whatever that was connected on. And as I have said, it still leaks, not from the filter, but from around the same area. Any ideas?

Old 01-21-2008, 06:29 PM

And another thing I don't understand is why all of a sudden the oil was leaking out like crazy? does it have anything to do with the extremely cold weather? ( I am in Atlanta, hardly goes down to 15F)

Old 01-21-2008, 06:45 PM
Site Moderator

Best advice I can give is to clean the entire area, refill the oil, check for leaks, then have someone else start it as you look to see where it's coming from.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:45 PM
1st Gear

im having the same problem could it be the seal on the oil cooler?

Old 01-21-2008, 11:13 PM

Is the oil cooler in around the same area?? The problem's pretty bad imo.. cuz I pretty can't drive the car until the problem's fixed... would love to see some more advices from all the experts from here though...

Old 01-21-2008, 11:29 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: bigdyll

Is the oil cooler in around the same area?? The problem's pretty bad imo.. cuz I pretty can't drive the car until the problem's fixed... would love to see some more advices from all the experts from here though...
The oil cooler is what the filter screws to.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:37 PM

If it's the problem with oil cooler seal.. how much would it cost usually to have it fixed by mechanics?? any reasonable range in price?

Quick Reply: Oil leak problem! Urgent!