Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM Factory Roof Racks - Update - PICS!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 02:25 PM
1st Gear
Default OEM Factory Roof Racks - Update - PICS!

Well, since I decided to make this a daily driver, I needed to get some form of bike rack for her, given how much time I spend on the trails. I looked at Yakima, Thule, OEM, and a custom lowrise deal from Rocky Mounts. I must say hands down the factory racks were the best fit for me. NO overhanging cross bars, comes with the locks ready to go, and they are fairly low rise compared to the q-towers. and they just looked clean.

My wife noticed last night that my mountain bike is blacked out like my a4, and she thinks I have a color palate problem. LOL. All well. I'll get it mounted up this evening, and take some shots through the install and make a mini writeup. It looks like a cakewalk, so if it's too easy, I'll post a PDF of the OEM manual.

Quattro + Bike Racks + Frozen Ohio Trails = Winter biking bliss.

-Ryan

Old 01-17-2008, 02:58 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: OEM Factory Roof Racks are HERE!

mtb in the freezing cold? that's hard core. I'm where it's warm and I bitch and moan about the short days! haha

Old 01-17-2008, 03:51 PM
1st Gear

Winter riding is actually one of my favorite things. Most people stay away, and leave a totally remote, vacant trail. I actually have studded bike tires. they're modified Kendas. think Mad Max. LOL. The main reason I bike is the solitude. Not like COlumbus Ohio is a raging merto area, but it's still nice to get out and have absolute silence. Helps me unwind.

My wife kicks me out of the house to GO mountain biking. If I'm moping or cranky, she used to load my bike and start my truck, and then come in and tell me to head to the trails. I have a great wife.

-Ryan

Old 01-17-2008, 06:47 PM
1st Gear

It's the middle of winter on a daily driven black car... please excuse the winter filth courtesy of our over excitable ohio department of transportation. It'll be washed tomorrow morning. all the lights in the garage throw off me camera as well. so take the photos for what they're worth, you'll see them on a pristene car this weekend maybe.

OK, well I'm not going to makea how to, these factory racks have to be the easiest to install of any roof rack I've ever seen. the car is blatantly marked with mounting points even. I never noticed them until tonight though... odd. anyway, I really like the look of them, and I'll probobally leave them on all the time, minus the bike mounts.

I give 2 big thumbs up for these racks. PLUS all the writing on the bars themselves is in german. I don't know why I think that's cool but I do. LOL.

- Ryan

Old 01-17-2008, 06:56 PM
1st Gear

How much for the OEM rack?

Old 01-17-2008, 07:01 PM
3rd Gear

They look great. I assume there's a snowboard/ski rack available with them as well?

Old 01-17-2008, 07:25 PM
1st Gear

there's a whole host of factory attachements. Also, Yakima and Thule pieces will tie into them.

As for price. I was loking at $200ish for a thule or yakima, and the OEM were $209 online. I got em from evilbay, through Audi of Hartford. Great guy, quick response. At your parts counter they retail for $250.

As always, thanks for the compliments! I'm thinking old school wooden VW rack. VEE DUBya....LOL

- Ryan

Old 01-17-2008, 08:33 PM
3rd Gear

Not a fan of the roof rack...... But I do like the grill.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:46 PM
1st Gear

I think you will find them to be too loud to leave them on all the time.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:10 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: hartsoe1

I think you will find them to be too loud to leave them on all the time.
Drove highway to work this morningeven though it's longer to get to work, just to see what kind of noise these are going to make.What's funny is the noise on these is a real low drone, and it's only at the 45-50 speed range. I had it up to 75, and really didn't notice much noise outside of 47ish speed range. For now at least, that doesn't deter me from leaving the racks on at all times.

They add so much versatility, I had forgotten how nice racks are. I'm headed to storage this evening for my addons.

- Ryan

Quick Reply: OEM Factory Roof Racks - Update - PICS!