Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
Good
35.00%
Bad
10.00%
Don't Know
30.00%
Octane What?
10.00%
Useless
15.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Is Octane Boost good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 01:03 AM
6th Gear
Default RE: Is Octane Boost good or bad?

Octane boosters do barely anthing to actually boost your octane level. When the bottle says it boosts your octane "7 points" thats .7 of a whole number. So 91 octane would now be 91.7 octane with one bottle of "Super octane booster 2000".

Old 02-26-2006, 07:26 AM
1st Gear

i've only used super,in all my cars,the test in the above thread was on 1 vehicle,i've had no perf.increase only in the jeep gr.cher.lim.2002,but it also says regular unleaded gas only on cover.

Old 02-26-2006, 10:29 AM
4th Gear

The amount of octane boost you get from products like 104, etc., is minimal. They are a waste of good money.

Unless your engine is having pre-ignition resulting in the knock sensor/ECU retarding your ignition timing, you get nothing by increasing your octane above what the manufacturer calls for.

Old 02-26-2006, 04:31 PM
1st Gear

i'm glad you see no difference in fuel performance from station to station.here the 3 leaders are chevron,76,and mobil.chevron is great,76 is a joke and mobil is downright crap.the manufacturer does not know what brand of gas you are putting in your car.been to mexico,they have 91+ gas there also,but we are sure to fill up before going down there

Old 02-26-2006, 04:59 PM
1st Gear

American fuel is bad quality, In the uk, the normal octane rating is 97, with 98 premium and 99 for optimax. Use a octane booster with as high an octane as you can for best results. Higher octane wont hurt your engine, it will help keep it clean. I used to run 99 optimax with an octane booster in my old jap import CRX, and it made a world of difference.

Old 02-26-2006, 05:18 PM
1st Gear

i have a 1998 Audi A4 1.8t and it "recommends" 91 octane and that is what i use. My chip is tuned to 91, so i shouldn't see any increase in power, should i?

Old 02-26-2006, 05:36 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Silverbullet767

American fuel is bad quality, In the uk, the normal octane rating is 97, with 98 premium and 99 for optimax. Use a octane booster with as high an octane as you can for best results. Higher octane wont hurt your engine, it will help keep it clean. I used to run 99 optimax with an octane booster in my old jap import CRX, and it made a world of difference.
Hey Silverbullet. Sure sounds like you're not in the US. Europe uses a different formula to determine the Octane Rating. If you have an Audi check the gas fill door. In the US we us the min. (R + M)/2 method and in Europe they use the min.Ron rating method.
A 91 octane pump rating in the US = a 96 to 98 octane pump rating in Europe.

Our fuels are probably refined in the same places. Sorry to dissapoint another US Basher.

Old 02-26-2006, 06:03 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: avanttripleloop

i'm glad you see no difference in fuel performance from station to station.here the 3 leaders are chevron,76,and mobil.chevron is great,76 is a joke and mobil is downright crap.the manufacturer does not know what brand of gas you are putting in your car.been to mexico,they have 91+ gas there also,but we are sure to fill up before going down there
You know, I live quite a ways from California or the "Left Coast". Here in Middle America I haven't seen a Chevron station in 10 years. I use Shell 93 mostly because there's no Sunocos close.

Another observation I have: I live less than a mile from a major fuel supply facility with 10-15 huge tanks. I consistently see every brand of fuel truck (Mobil, Shell, Phillips 66, Citgo, etc, etc) filling up at the same exact tanks and driving them to their individual stations. The only thing that is regulated by law at the pump is the Octane rating.

Again, just an observation.

Old 02-26-2006, 11:49 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: activemonkey

i have a 1998 Audi A4 1.8t and it "recommends" 91 octane and that is what i use. My chip is tuned to 91, so i shouldn't see any increase in power, should i?
That's correct. Even if your chip wasn't tuned to 91, you still wouldn't see an increase in power by going with a higher octane. In fact, you'd see a decrease. The higher the octane, the greater the ability to resist detonation. It's all about for which octane the engine was designed.

Old 02-27-2006, 01:01 AM
1st Gear

it is it's ability to resist PRE-detonation,not detonation.pre detonation happens when friction of gasses being compressed causes it to blow up BEFORE the spark ignites it.it will still detonate like normal when the spark ignites it.

Quick Reply: Is Octane Boost good or bad?