Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O jesus.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 05:14 AM
2nd Gear
Default O jesus.....

Havent had my 1999 audi 1.8T fronttrak for 3 weeks and the bastard threw a code.....im driving down the hwy w/ my lady friend and the check engine light comes on. so i do what any smart person would do. i pull over. i turn off the car. pop the hood. check alllll fluids. no problems......a quart low on oil, but thats not too bad. so's i start my engine and my rev's are all over the place.. as high as 1800, and as low as 500......wth, any body have any ideas. i suspect its something electrical- a Crankshaft position sensor maybe? it's in "limp" mode...so i guess. it drives...but it vibrates a little...and its sluggish. i need help people...any ideas as to what it could be? any ideas are appreciated...preferablly a moderator. as to me being new to audi's i'm fairly lost as to what the proble could be...any body else had this problem?......105649 miles..

Old 08-19-2005, 05:17 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: O jesus.....

Any power loss or anything?... Sounds like a Air flow sensor or something?

Old 08-19-2005, 05:22 AM
5th Gear

could be many things. scan the codes at autozone (it's free) and post them up here

Old 08-19-2005, 01:10 PM
2nd Gear

Could be bad coil packs, sparl plugs, air flow sensor.
Do what Bentfarme said run the code and post it up here.

Old 08-19-2005, 04:23 PM
Site Moderator

Bad coil pack comes to mind or a dying ignition amplifier.

If the CEL is blinking, do not drive the car at all.

Old 08-20-2005, 12:17 AM
2nd Gear

ALright, so i drove the car to my mechanic's house, it ended up being the #2 cylinder...the ignition pack wasnt firing... it basically had a dead cylinder...so he's gonna slap a new ignition coil and a new set of wires.....he also suggested that i not mod the car in any way....also on top of all of this...he recommended that since im at 105K...that i do a new waterpump and a timing belt, which i am not against.......now that that's thru......apparnetly messing with anything electronic is out of the question, would it be safe to do performance mods? if not, i have a 1999 Audi a4 1.8T up for sale...

Old 08-20-2005, 12:53 AM
3rd Gear

I just had my ignition module changed completely free of charge! had the water pump, and bearing done though, anfd the buggers charged me for those!

Old 08-20-2005, 01:35 AM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: Slowb5

any ideas are appreciated...preferablly a moderator.
WTF? you want me to make sure there's no seeds in your lemon before i finish pouring your water too?

Old 08-20-2005, 02:46 AM

I just made a topic a little while ago about the exact same problem with #2 cylinder on my 98 1.8t. My ignition packs were switched around and it was still doing it, so maybe I'll just replace it all together like you are...

Let me know how your problem turns out.

Old 08-20-2005, 12:32 PM
4th Gear

If you are having problem with codes for cylinder two,

first clear the code and swap the pack with another cyl. If the misfire follows the pack, you have a bad pack. If the code stays with cyl two, check the spark plug. If the plug is fouled replace. You might want to try replacing it with a cheapy from autozone for a few bucks. Cleat the codes and see if the problem is solved. If it is replace all your.

If your car has an ignition pack on the top of the air filter, ( I'm too lazy to check up the engine codes and confguration), there were a batch that had problems with soldering of the lead to cylinder 2.

If you have not had the timing belt done, you are way overdue. There are numerous reports about premature failures of belts with audi engines. Change the timing belt, water pump, idler wheel, tensioner. Might as well do the front engine cam and shaft seals too. Get the kit from ecstuning.

Replace ALL fluids in your car. You have no idea when these were last done. This includes coolant (audi G12 only) which you can do when you do the timing belt etc). Brake fluid flush, transmission and differential gear oil, steering fluid (Pentosin 11 only). CHANGE YOUR OIL. Religiously, every 5K miles with Mobil 1; Use the new larger filter available at ECStuning.

Have your mechanic check for any vacuum leaks, check the car over, replace anything that needs fixing. Put in new NGK plugs

Keep 500 in the bank for unexpected repairs.

Once all this is done you are ready to mod. The fastest easiest way is to put in a chip. Will give you about 45 more HP and lots more torque. APR and GIAC are the flavors of the week. Cost about 600 dollars. You should also upgrade your diverter valve if you do this to the 710N valve

PS moderators don't know anymore about these cars than many/most people here. We just happen to be in charge.

Quick Reply: O jesus.....