Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Now my turbo is loud, WTF is going on?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 03:51 PM
1st Gear
Default Now my turbo is loud, WTF is going on?

So over the past week or so i have noticed my turbo getting louder. It sounds almosy like a hydrlic pump running, but i can hear is spooling up and down so i know it's the turbo. The car is a 03 A4 1.8t with 60k (did APR S1+, EFIs, new coil packs, and a K&N filter a few months ago).

As much as i would kinda like to replace it with a K04 or the APR S3 Kit i really would rather not spend the money now as i need to have the 60k tuneup done which i hear isn't cheap and i really wanted to to the level10 valve body for my tip before the bigger turbo.

thoughts?

Thanks!!
~phil

Old 11-17-2006, 04:05 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: Now my turbo is loud, WTF is going on?

hm, check the oil... make sure the lines arent clogged...sounds like a bearing could be going bad

Old 11-17-2006, 04:16 PM
1st Gear

The engine oil is fed to the turbo i'm assuming? I will check this out right away. thanks!

Old 11-17-2006, 10:49 PM
1st Gear

So i won't be able to get to the dealer to egt an oil change till next week, so i just checked it, didn't look bad, but was alittle low and threw in a bottle of oil.

I make it about a mile down the street and it gets pretty damn loud and i loose all the turbo boost, couldn't get the bit*h past 45. I also notice this very distinct smell of something cooking under the hood and one hell of a tall of while smoke behind me. at this point i said f*ck it and limped her home another couple miles doing like 15 the whole way. I noticed that the smoke appeared to be coming from the exhaust. guessing it's time for a new turbo K04 maybe.

guess the 60k work will have to wait till 70.

Old 11-18-2006, 03:19 AM
4th Gear

uh , does it smell sweet like burning anti freeze ? ...check your actual oil if it has antifreeze in it... then you probably blew a head gasket, i wouldnt drive it any more if i were you

Old 11-18-2006, 03:54 AM
5th Gear

yea something is toast man Porbably time fora k04

Old 11-18-2006, 10:45 AM
4th Gear

Ummm, at 60K miles why are you going to the dealer?

60K maintenance can be done by you for under 100 dollars and an hour of your time.

It probably consists of an oil and filter change, air filter change (11 dollars for parts), cabin filter change (15 dollars for parts) new spark plugs (10 dollars for copper plugs; 50 dollars for OEM NGK platinums).

You don't need a level 10 for a K04, although you will need a tip chip.

I've been running a chipped K03 for the last 80K miles (now at 160K), and put a tip chip in at 140K in anticipation of a K04 soon.

Turbo going bad starts sounding like a dentist's drill, a high pitched whine. Once the bearing start to go bad, there is nothing you can do. Make sure however, that the noise just isn't a boost leak somewhere which will also give you noise.

Old 11-18-2006, 11:49 AM
1st Gear

i'm pretty sure it's the turbo the way it sounds spinning up and down.

The APR K04 is $1799 *cough cough Since i already paid for the APR programming i might as well get the APR K04 since i won't have to buy the software again right? I found a K04-015 for $795 can i just fit this right on or will i need a bunch of other parts? http://www.kineticmotorsport.com/pro...015-37-16.html If it just a bolt it on type thing i can simply have APR upgrade the software to there K04 package for another $199 i think...... or will there software ONLY work with there version of the K04?

I can get another K03 off ebay for $350 so I'm not sure which route I'm going to go yet.

About the TIP chip, i can't find one that was made for anything past a 02, according to the GIAC dealer they didn't make one because the stock program on the newer cars didn't require tweaking.

60k stuff, I just did the plugs, coil packs, and air filter about a month or two ago, and I'll get the oil done as soon as i get the turbo taken care of, but doesn't it also consist of a belt replacement?

Thanks everyone! such a great forum, my new home!

Oh one last thing. Since both of these should be a direct bolt on and shouldn't require any special modifications is this something i might be able to do on a set of rams or a jack? or am i going to need to take it somewhere to have it done?

THANKS!!!!! sorry about all the questions.

Old 11-18-2006, 02:12 PM
4th Gear

K04 is a direct bolt on, but I believe the APR programming also requires bigger injectors.

You will need new gaskets and studs for the turbo install. Figure that the bolts will be frozen in place. Be prepared to need a lot of force to remove.

Make sure that when you install, that you disconnect the /ECU and crank the engine several times to force oil into the new turbo. Otherwise you will have a "dry start", and the turbo bearings will be F'd on from Day 1.

60K doesn't include timing belt change.

Old 11-18-2006, 02:52 PM
1st Gear

cool, so i would be able to use a standard K04-015 with the APR programming. I already have the bigger injectors for the APR Stage 1+ so for just over a grand, plus the gasket and studs ect, and i install it myself i can get away with this for under $1500. then i can get the APR K04 program for $199 since i already have the Stage 1+. It just seems silly to pay APR $1799 (without injectors) for a K04 if it is the same thing as the $1100 one.

Time isn't a Major issue (gonna reg the ol 94 Saab for temp wheels) so if it takes me a few weeks to do the project in my garage thats no big deal. Pull the bumper/radiator/ect to open out the front of the engine and then remove the oil hoses and the bolts, pull forward and reverse for the new one right? Or can i leave the front intact, pull the air box and lift it up that way?

this might not be as bad as i really thought as long as the turbo is all that went putttt

now what is the difference between the K04-001 and the K04-015, I was assuming it was just a revision number but looking at the photos they look different. Am I right in picking the K04-015?

Quick Reply: Now my turbo is loud, WTF is going on?