Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

not just an audi thing

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 12:14 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: not just an audi thing

i dont agree with that cause i had my 03 mustang 5 spd and you talk about stiff... wow i had a probe 5 speed before my stang and the first time i went to test drive the stang i felt like a complete a*s cause i went to let the clutch out to take off and it threw my leg into the back of the steering wheel and sent us skippin and buckin for 20 feet haha

Old 01-08-2008, 12:15 PM
I'm make believe

if you think all Audi's are soft, drive a TT. SO much better. Its nice and firm and springs back like it should. But its a sporty car, not a sedan

Old 01-08-2008, 12:19 PM
2nd Gear

im not sayin its the softest by any means... i actually like the way it feels its just my timing thats an issue and how far the pedal travels compared to the actual amout you need... i was just sayin im use to the firmness of my stang and my audi is alot differant... the 1.8t is actually softer yet imo

Old 01-08-2008, 12:49 PM
4th Gear

yea, the engage point is pretty high, not nearly as high as a mk2 though

Old 01-08-2008, 01:27 PM
Tech Guru

should try a df clutch........ like driving a semi

Old 01-08-2008, 01:48 PM
5th Gear

get a new clutch. my stock one engaged by me literally tapping it with my toes (that was right before it went out) so the closer the clutch engagement is to the ceiling the worse your clutch is. my stage 5 clutch engages almost directly at the floor and the engagement is a million times more solid. so much better.

and when i had the stock clutch i used all that extra room behind the engagement point to time my launches. when your foot starts releasing the clutch, time your right foot to start on the accelerator, ideally you want to be at 3k still rising on the way to 4k by the time your left foot hits that clutch point. that was the best way i found to launch it on the stock clutch.

now with my stage 5 i can launch it hard as fvck and so much better than i ever could with the stock clutch. and people may knock the k04, but that torque combined with a good launch on that stage 5 clutch, and i leave almost anything off the line in the dust

Old 01-08-2008, 04:14 PM
Administrator

In many cars the higher clutch engagement point is indicative of the clutch wearing down and eventually going out. I have been told that this is not the case with the Audi's though as about all of them engage at a very high point in the clutch travel.

Just thought I would throw that out there.

Don't worry about your clutch, this seems to be an Audi thing.
I had the same concern when I test drove my car before buying it. The prior owner told me that Audis were just like that, and reading on here has confirmed that many times over. For whatever reason, our cars are just made that way.