Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

not just an audi thing

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 08:18 AM
2nd Gear
Default not just an audi thing

ok this might be one of those rediculous questions... but in a standard car you have you clutch pedal obviously... in my a4 for example you only need the first 3 inches or so to have the clutch disengaged, now why do they give you a foot of play between the pedal and the floor? why not just put the clutch pedal 5 inches from the floor? would make timing more responsive imo... idk just a question

Old 01-08-2008, 08:23 AM
Tech Guru
Default RE: not just an audi thing

i have noticed out of all the cars i have driven the audi does have the softest pedal feel

Old 01-08-2008, 08:28 AM
SoCal Crew Member

[:-](Cough)[:-] for women......

Old 01-08-2008, 09:37 AM
1st Gear

thats weird cus the clutch on mine provides more resistance then most other cars i've driven.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:43 AM
2nd Gear

i agree, the resistance is very little, but in the audi i have and the 1.8t i drove the damn clutch either grabs or doesnt theres nothin gradual about it lol, therefore i would think that apedal closer to the floor would help out with timing, for me any ways

Old 01-08-2008, 10:04 AM
1st Gear

In many cars the higher clutch engagement point is indicative of the clutch wearing down and eventually going out. I have been told that this is not the case with the Audi's though as about all of them engage at a very high point in the clutch travel.

Just thought I would throw that out there.

Don't worry about your clutch, this seems to be an Audi thing.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:23 AM
2nd Gear

thanks for the info guys, im still gettin use to mine... its comin i think, is there an adjustment to these clutches/pedals or no

Old 01-08-2008, 10:29 AM
5th Gear

no there's no adjustment. i thought the same thing when i first got my car. you just have to get used to it. i you don't want to push that far everytime, you can buy this thing that goes behind the pedal and will stop it from going all the way to the floor. my clutch is starting to wear though ahhhhh. more money out of this empty pocket dammit!!! o well haha time for an upgrade.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:38 AM
2nd Gear

^^ hmm cool i might look into that, cause last night i took her for a spin and only pushed down just so far and i seemed to do alot better...

Old 01-08-2008, 12:07 PM
1st Gear

my car is the same way, the clutch travels like a foot but the engagement point is really close to the top.

i don't think it feels soft, in general the german cars i've driven including mine have had kinda stiffer, springier clutches. i like that it takes a little effort.

on the other hand i've driven a lot of japanese and american cars where the clutches just felt like three inches of sponge. to me, that makes the entire car seem like a flimsy piece of crap.

Quick Reply: not just an audi thing