Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob viewpoint - one slick bridge and I believe in Q (long)...

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 04:02 PM
Administrator
Default RE: Noob viewpoint - one slick bridge and I believe in Q (long)...

Well this is my first time with Quattro so I haven't had much experience in bad weather with it yet (other than heavy rain, which I think you guys got a few weeks ago when we did), and my all-seasons were great with that. They also worked very well yesterday in the slushy crap that came down. I'm hoping that they'll prove to be adequate for winter all the way through though - I'd just as soon not have to shell out another several hundred bucks for snow tires if I can help it. If these don't cut it, then I'll go ahead and get the snow tires, but if these make it through OK, then I'll just go with them. I'm looking into some new wheels in the spring, and I'd rather not spend any more now than I have to. If it turns out that the all-seasons are not gonna cut it, then fine, but I'm going to try them out in any event, on the chance that they do work out (so I'm not spending money needlessly). We'll see what happens.

Old 12-08-2006, 04:10 PM
4th Gear

The good thing was, I sold it to a friend who lives about five minutes away, who is an avid Z fan and who I know won't screw up the car with a metal wing and other garbage like that (plus I made her promise that I get to drive it from time to time too).
Hey, thats pretty smart! Don't have the expense, and still may get to drive it! Mines a 2+2, its sits a lot, but I love the z so much, its my long term restoration project. Slowly getting everything right as the years go by. Its just an NA, buts its still a lot of fun. Like you said, I am not afraid to floor it like you may in a TT. From the mods you had on yours' it was definitely a monster. At least its still close to home for you!

To be honest, until I get a lot more work done on the z, the audi has the edge in cornering and braking. The z is due for new suspension, and its going to be coilovers all around whenever I can afford it.
I have 4 kids, 6 if you count the z and audi! Or are those two considered mistresses? My wife leans toward them being "my other women".
I threw a couple of pics of the z in my photo gallery just for the heck of it.

Old 12-08-2006, 04:58 PM
Administrator

I know what you mean about the Z being a passion - it was bordering on the level of a heroin addiction. As for your suspension, coilovers are great, but honestly I spent less and was perfectly happy. I did KYB AGX adjustable struts with Intrax springs (1.5" drop). It cambered the hell out of the rear (about -4.5 degrees) until I got the adjustable upper arms for it, but that combination was great. Add in the f/r ST sways, strut braces (for all the miniscule difference they may have made), plus Dupree subframe spacers and the 18x8 front/18x10 Volks and 245-40 front/285-30 rear tires, and the thing cornered insanely. Reflexes were ridiculous (even better than my buddy's NSX, which to me said volumes, as I've long been an NSX devotee and have had an NSX-shaped hole in my garage since 91, just waiting to be filled), and corners that my friends could take flat out at 90 in Stealths or DSMs, I could take at 130 in the Z.

As for not having the expense, in reality, she won't have the expense, since I spent so much on the car while I had it. I replaced, over the years (I got it in 98), every typical wear part underhood, did the full 60k right before I parked it, all new suspension, freshened TT motor, did my own interior gray leather trim kit, brakes (drilled/slotted rotors, Axxis MM pads, SS lines, Motul fluid, BMC brace), tires (on the OEM wheels - I sold the Volks to someone else, as she didn't have the money to cover the extra cost for them), 8 speaker/2 sub/2 amp system, Alpine deck, yada yada yada. I did so much to that car, that there's really nothing left to do besides gas it up and drive it, unless she decides to put a body kit on, or widebody it or something. Otherwise, there really isn't that much left to tackle. Not to mention the engine work (a couple pics below - I'll add them and some more to my profile as well). She practically stole the car, but there's no way to recoup all that when you sell a car like this anyway. If I get another, it'll probably be an NA convertible, and I'll put in a POP charger and some rims and call it a day, and just drive it instead of being an idiot and doing that much work to it.

[IMG]local://upfiles/21057/0E34D5A90FA64F3398F30E15168D7130.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/21057/DFBE4154F08E4655BAF7A5A956B1C938.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-08-2006, 09:09 PM
1st Gear

My z just sits most the time. it has been driven probably 30 times since i bought it in 02. With the snail upgrades and unforseen maintenance it just sits in my grandfathers garage. the audi is just more fun to drive daily. the z is more of a summer weekend car. 1996 300zx TT no hicas