Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob viewpoint - one slick bridge and I believe in Q (long)...

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 12:41 PM
Administrator
Default Noob viewpoint - one slick bridge and I believe in Q (long)...

Most of you veterans here know all about this from your first-hand experiences, so this is aimed more at my fellow noobs here. In the FAQ that details the answers to most noob questions about what model of Audi to buy, there is a question of whether one should hold out for a Quattro model. Succintly, the answer given is Yes. After crossing a curving bridge last night that had a nasty patch of black ice amid several square yards of slush and other assorted debris, I can now understand why everyone is so biased toward Q.

One of my first posts on this board a few months back was, Just how good is Quattro really? Everyone who answered supported it strongly, and after last night, I am left with no doubt as to why. Yesterday the weather here in upstate NY started out with steady rain, and temps falling throughout the day. That rain turned to sleet and freezing rain, then to slush, and finally to snow. By noon, air temps were in the upper teens and still falling, and there was a 20 to 30mph wind as well - great conditions to make skating rinks out of streets.

I had a few things to do around town after work, so I was out and about before the salt trucks really got to make their mark. The roads and parking lots in the afternoon were getting covered over somewhat, and walking on the lots, you could feel that the surfaces were slicked over from the earlier snow/rain mix. I saw several people in 2wd vehicles spinning tires trying to pull away from an uphill stopsign. My 2.8Q pulled out like it was July - score 1 for Quattro. That's not what opened my eyes though.

On the way home from all this last night, although the salt trucks had been out some, the roads were starting to get a little hairy - not as bad as they'll get in the coming months, but not exactly trustworthy either. I was first in a line of several cars that had just exited the highway and were crossing the Chenango River on a long left-curving bridge. There were damp patches and dark patches and snowy patches, but I was setting a cautious pace at around 35mph (it's a safe bridge at 50mph in pouring rain, and flat out could be taken at close to 80 in the dry in a good-handling car, so it's not a terribly tight curve by any means but it is noticeable, and decreases radius to boot) and no one was driving like a jackass behind me or approaching from the other direction (a rarity around here - most years here, there are 60-70 fender benders and other accidents in the first week of snow season, as everyone seems to forget how to drive when the roads get slippery). Right about at the apex of the tightest part of the bend in the road, there was an accumulation of wet snow, slush, salt mix, and as I found out, black ice. Still in 3rd gear at around 35mph, the back end kicked right in a type of snap oversteer that was fun in my 300Z during summer, but is completely ***-clenching on a winter night in a car I don't fully know yet. Gave it a quick poke of throttle, a right-hand twitch of the wheel, and the car popped right back into line as if the pavement were dry. Took about a second and a half and required virtually nothing from me - it's almost like the car righted itself. All it seems that these cars need is a little traction somewhere, and they'll plow right on through like it's summertime. By comparison, the guy in the 2wd Ranger behind me snapped out and missed the guardrail with his tailgate by what couldn't have been more than two feet, and it took him some time and effort just to get the thing pointed straight again. Everyone behind us must've slowed down even more and in time from what I could tell, since I didn't see any more wildy sluing headlights in my mirrors. I have a feeling that if I had been in my Corolla even, I might've plowed straight instead of making the turn, and ended up head-butting the rail instead of making the turn. In the Z, it would've been time for a call to State Farm and a wrecking service.

I know it wasn't a high speed incident by any means, and I'm sure many have had worse experiences than this, but yesterday marked 5 weeks since I got the car, and yesterday was our first inclement weather, so I'm just now getting to feel out its capabilities, and from that little incident last night, I'm can absolutely see why all you guys (and the DSM/Evo/WRX guys) are so fervent over your AWD platforms. I've been a big rear drive import fan/driver/owner for a long time, but I really can see the real advantages of Q (and its sister systems from other makers) now, and I'm sure as hell glad I did buy a Quattro. Any other drivetrain setup, and last night might've been trouble. I've seen even in heavy rain with this car, it just never puts a wheel wrong. It almost makes you want to TRY to get it out of shape, since so far for me anyway, it hasn't even come close regardless of conditions, until last night.

Anyhow, sorry it's so long - what I was hoping to accomplish was to provide a noob view on popping my Q-cherry for any other noobs that haven't bought their cars yet and are still on the fence about going ahead and buying that front-drive Audi for less money rather than saving/borrowing more to get a Q model. As you guys all told me, and the FAQ says, BUY A QUATTRO.

Anyhow, I'm done - thanks for reading, hope it helps someone out in their decision.

Old 12-08-2006, 12:54 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Noob viewpoint - one slick bridge and I believe in Q (long)...

Hellz yeah, Upstate NY represent!

The first day with snow, I saw a 4-car pileup on 490, in which a red Mustang was in the wall with a tire completely ripped off, laying across the 3 lanes in the median. Some people drive like idiots, some people have cars that handle like schit in the snow....and some are a combination of both.

Quattro...FTW!!!![sm=happybounce.gif]

Old 12-08-2006, 01:21 PM

Quattro!! Must have if you buy an Audi.
Totally agree with you Jeremy

----------
2007 B7 2.0T Quattro Manual
no mod yet
breaking-in period

Old 12-08-2006, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Rochester huh? I'm in Binghamton, but may be headed back up to Rochester after the holidays for a weekend to see a buddy that moved there. I was hoping to go last month, but got too busy to do it. If I head up, you up for meeting us for a beer?

Old 12-08-2006, 01:43 PM
4th Gear

Quattro all the way.

Since owning the audi, I have become a firm believer in 4wd sport cars, especially the quattro system. Its great for the snow and rain, an actually makes a huge difference in the grip the car can maintain in the dry. It really adds to the cornering capapbilities of the car in all conditions.

Glad to hear your story, looks like its going to pay off have quatrro in new york.

P.S. my z stays in the garage all winter except for those rare ohio winter days where the roads are dry and its sunny and 45!

Old 12-08-2006, 02:33 PM
Administrator

I agree completely with that. The AWD just makes the car seem so solidly planted to the road. As you know, the Z is an incredible handler, but it's also not that hard to provoke it and get it sideways (especially with boost). The Audi just sticks and goes. My Z, I feel, actually handled better as an NA than after the TT swap, just because it didn't have enough power to get really loose unless I did it deliberately (I ran Volk AV3s with 285-30ZR18 tires out back - pics below). Once the swap was done (typical stage 6 upgrades, plus boost controller at 16psi, light flywheel, one piece DS, JWT clutch, and the NA differential), it was a hairy-assed monster when the boost kicked in, just ridiculous. And with OEM turbos and the NA rear, the boost came on hard and very fast. It was much more predictable without boost, and I think that on certain roads, the NA setup would've been just as fast end to end as the TT - I'd have been more confident to really tear into the corners, whereas with the TT, I'd probably hold back, and then make up the difference on the straights.

I've actually sold my Z now, but that was coming for awhile. I have a three year old and a two year old, and even with a 2+2, it's just pointless. I could drive the car maybe once a week, and to me that's not worth it. The good thing was, I sold it to a friend who lives about five minutes away, who is an avid Z fan and who I know won't screw up the car with a metal wing and other garbage like that (plus I made her promise that I get to drive it from time to time too). She's been a Z owner for a few years already, and knows the car, so I'm not worried about it getting disrespected or beaten on without the proper care. In short, it's in a good home that will be able to use it more as it should be used. At my house, it'd be sitting more than anything else, and that just won't cut it - I'd rather see it driven even if not by me. I will miss it, but I really was ready for a change more than anything. Besides, there's always a chance of getting another at some point, although I doubt I'll go as far with mods the next time (all the above mods, with full stereo, full suspension build, much polishing/chroming/painting/powdercoating on the engine). Here's two of the last pics I took of it:

[IMG]local://upfiles/21057/3AC2E6B2638048D99D5FBAB01250926E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/21057/5419FF342CAC476E93F2D9DE629C9C61.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-08-2006, 03:11 PM
1st Gear

This is the first winter for me aswell with the Audi. On my way to work I have to drive a road around a lake. So its just abunch of turns. Nice open view on either side and around the bends, no ditches. I tend to push it a bit here if I don't see anyone comming the other way.

Anyway, I was going slow the other day but turned into the first corner and felt the rear go out just for a second. Then it corrected and was right back on it. So like any sane person I did it again on the next 2 corners.

Old 12-08-2006, 03:15 PM
1st Gear

yea man upstate ny and quattro is awesome together. I'm in school in the syracuse area and quattro has saved my a$$ a bunch of times. Although you have to run some sort of winter tire because I was sideways when I tapped the gas with my pirelli p6 all seasons

Old 12-08-2006, 03:18 PM
1st Gear

i know theres some fwd 1.8ts on here so don't get offended, but i wouldn't buy an audi without Quattro. might as well get the benz or bmw, Quattro is the reason to buy an Audi in my opinion.

Old 12-08-2006, 03:24 PM
2nd Gear

quattro is insane, i seriously have to try to get that thing sideways. the correction is intense. good to hear your experience wasn't costly.

Quick Reply: Noob viewpoint - one slick bridge and I believe in Q (long)...