Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NOOB - Jus some basic Q's....

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 12:49 PM
1st Gear
Default NOOB - Jus some basic Q's....

Hey guys. Just joined and have a few questions....

I've been thinking lately about trading in my GTP for an Audi 1.8T in a few months. (I jus miss standard so much). I've started to read on audi's recently jus so i can get a few ideas and some clues on what i'm in for. I've been reading your posts and have realized that all you guys know exactly what ur talkin about. Just some help....

Is a Hybrid DV still a bad idea? I've read that BOV are honestly a bad idea...so instead of bein stubborn and gettin 1 anyways, i'll save the health of my car and take your word for it . Although, i still love the blow off valve. My buddy in his SRT-4 thinks his s*** don't stink cause of his BOV. I just want 1 cause they arent really common around my parts. How about if i take good care of my turbo and engine temps and stuff, still think it will drastically throw off the MFA readings?? Idk, just let me know what you think.

What do you advise that i put in my car if i get a chip, exhaust and intake. Will that be too much psi for hte turbno to handle (whether or not i have the Hybrid BOV)? Should i get a boost controller, turbo timer, etc. to keep te life of my turbo?? I've got the whole supercharger thing down pat cause of my GTP, i'm just completely new to the whole turbo deal. I figured that i would start learning now because the mnore i know, the more healthy my cars is, and hte less i hafta pay to fix the dam thing.

18" rims with lowering springs okay? Am i gonna hafta owrry bout rubbing? I dont wanna roll my fenders either. I'm a guy that likes to plan EVERYTHING ahead of time so i just want a clue.

1 more....lol

How about making the turbo spool louder? I've seen that you guys just recommend an intake and exhaust but will that make it noticeably loud?

Thanks

Old 04-12-2005, 01:03 PM
6th Gear
Default RE: NOOB - Jus some basic Q's....

Hey welcome to the forum.

Audi's are designed to use Diverter Valves, period. Not hybrids and not BOVs.

A chip, exhaust and intake will not produce too much psi for the turbo. It can handle the amount of a chip. Reputable tuners do not create chips that are going to excede the limits of your car's engine. Boost controllers are generally not recommended. There is no point if you have a chip. Turbo timers are ok, but not really worth it unless you really drive the car hard and are too lazy to let it cool down.

18" will probably not rub, unless you really drop the car. I hope you are planning on getting new shocks too. You can't just slap lowered springs on there and expect teh shocks to not wear out in 6 months.

Yes an intake will make the turbo louder.

Make sure you search first next time before asking questions.

Old 04-12-2005, 01:14 PM
2nd Gear

WOW so polite this time Jest, i was waiting on one of those, "Welcome to the forums, Click Here (Link) for search side hehehehe

Old 04-12-2005, 01:15 PM
3rd Gear

================
Welcome to Audi Forums AleW!

Since you're new... check out the START HERE! (click this link) link to get a rundown of the lingo/vocab here at audiforums.

Then be sure to search the archives when you have a question. Chances are the question has been asked before (probably several times) and the archives will have plenty of information to answer your question. If you still need answers, please feel free to ask questions.

Don't feel intimidated; we are all a bunch of pretty cool guys (and gals). Feel free to post advice, comments, ideas, suggestions, and even pics.
================

Excellent questions. Glad to see you're thinking ahead.

Most of what you've read is accurate. The BOV will immediately begin to cause trouble for your MAF and eventually cause other problems as you have read. The "hybrid" dv's are still in uproven territory. Not enough data has been compiled to make substantive conclusions.

A chip, exhaust, and intake are typical upgrades. A good DV is necessary to protect the engine from the higher boost - the engine can handle the boost otherwise. A boost controller and turbo timer isn't necessary; they're mostly for peace of mind.

18" wheels and lowering springs should be fine. Keep the drop within reasonable limits and you won't be compromising ride and suspension dynamics.

Hope this helps.
Good luck with your research.

Old 04-12-2005, 01:30 PM
6th Gear

ORIGINAL: Krule

WOW so polite this time Jest, i was waiting on one of those, "Welcome to the forums, Click Here (Link) for search side hehehehe

Now why would I do that??!!!!

Old 04-12-2005, 03:32 PM
2nd Gear

my former roomate had a gtp. it was fast but too much cheep looking plastic interior. then he bought a reagal gs with a built motor. that thing is fast....mid 11 down the 1/4 mile...still looks like the standard plastic gm car. i like my car its not fast but looks nice

Old 04-12-2005, 03:43 PM
1st Gear

Yea i have about 300+hp....pretty quick but i was reluctant on doing any mods to the s/c because it has a lot of miles (126k). I'm also only 18 and go to school full-time so i dont have much spending money. I figured it was time for a new project, and sinice i like turbos and miss standard so much, i figured an audi 18.t would be perfect. I will def do performance mods but i also jus love the look of a luxuroius and clean car. I'll def miss the speed of the GTP, but it's time to move on.

Old 04-12-2005, 03:51 PM
6th Gear

I would be cautious if you have a tight budget. Audi repair bills can add up fast, these cars aren't exactly known to be extremely reliable.

Old 04-13-2005, 04:35 PM
1st Gear

Well this is why i plan on getting it in about 4 months or so. I work my *** off during the summer and will easily save about 4gs. With the trade in of my car, this will be plenty of money to back up any potential problems. When is said "i dont have much spendning money", i meant kind of on the lines of me not getting anything huge like a $5K turbo upgrade or anything lol.