Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No carwash allowed on a4???

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 10:35 PM
1st Gear
Default No carwash allowed on a4???

I would love to get someone else's perspective on my issue. I have a 2014 A4 S Line which has 25K miles on it. The brakes are squealing like a dog whistle and it is quite annoying and embarrassing. Long story short, I have inquired with the dealer twice regarding the issue. Here is what they told me:

1. Don't take your car to the carwash, they use chemical agents to clean the wheels and it can cause a glaze on your rotors, which will cause the squealing

2. Do some hard ABS stops, go about 50 mph and slam on the brakes, that will help get the brake dust off and should take care of the issue.

3. Drive the car harder, allegedly, I am soft on the brakes, which is causing the squealing.

Frankly, this is laughable to me. How can you sell a $40K car that you aren't able to take through the car wash once or twice a month? Sorry, but where is the "Truth in Engineering" here????

I even called Audi of America to voice my concern. They tell me there is absolutely nothing they can do since there is not a TSB out on it and I just need to deal with it. The dealer told me they get 20-30 calls a week on this issue. Audi of America tells me that their technicians are "working" on the issue, but there is nothing they can do....as a first time Audi customer, this is not the experience that I bargained for.

Any ideas on what action I should or could take to get my issue resolved? Out of shear principal alone, I expect a better answer than what I have been told. They are making it seem as if I ruined my braking system because I took the car to the car wash...please help with your thoughts?

Old 12-30-2014, 11:42 AM
2nd Gear

Yea, I don't buy the car wash excuse either. I guess it is possible, but as soon as you braked you would burn any chemical off. Otherwise no car could go through a wash as it would be a safety hazard. I also don't buy the driving to soft (on braking) theory either. I don't see how break dust would cause the noise. Breaking hard might stop the noise, but will wear your brakes out faster. Although you don't need them you could try and different set of brake pads. I would go back to the dealer and tell them none of the suggested methods resolved the issue and is it possibel the pads have a defect. Ask them to swap out the pads. Should only cost them an hour labor and cost of pads to keep a customer happy.