Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No 1 peice headlight unit for '99 style?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 06:52 AM
Default No 1 peice headlight unit for '99 style?

Thought I saw one once on ebay, but now I can't seem to find one anywhere...

I don't get why in the world they make the aftermarket ones in two peices in the first place. I am a newb to Audi, so if theres a good reason that I'm missing here please LMK.

And if there isn't... would the '01 one peice fit a '99? Sure looks like it can, but I dunno sense I haven't even test driven one yet (actually gonna do that tomorrow morning lol).

Anyway this is a big concern for me. Cause I like the price difference of the '99 models as opposed to the newer '01 and up. That and here locally there aren't many Audi's anyway and so my choices are a little limited.

If it doesn't fit lets say... would the newer bumper fit directly on? And so that way at least the headlights + bumper would match. But then I dunno if maybe the cars use different style blubs between the years or if there are other compatibility issues involved.

Looking towards some good replies. Nice forum guys btw.

Old 08-28-2004, 12:16 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: No 1 peice headlight unit for '99 style?

If your car came with 2 piece headlights then you can only add 1 piece headlights (meant for a 99.5+ model year) by triming the fender behind the corner lense. In any case - you can easily add the 1 piece lights to a '99 with some minor modifications. But you can then never go back to 2 piece lights.

Its a very common mod.

Old 08-28-2004, 02:12 PM
6th Gear

I love my 1 piece headlights in my 97, one of the best cosmetic mods.

Old 08-28-2004, 02:24 PM

ORIGINAL: brrman

If your car came with 2 piece headlights then you can only add 1 piece headlights (meant for a 99.5+ model year) by triming the fender behind the corner lense. In any case - you can easily add the 1 piece lights to a '99 with some minor modifications. But you can then never go back to 2 piece lights.

Its a very common mod.
Okay so it requires a little trim, no problem just gotta factor in the extra cost now. (new paint and all)

The one peice 99.5 headlight, can it be made to have clear corners with a mod? Or perhaps theres a nice 99.5 style aftermarket headlight that I should look out for instead then?

Thanks in advance!

PS: if I went a little crazy and say wanted a '02 style headlights, would I need to change the bumper or just need a trim on the fender as before?

Old 08-28-2004, 03:33 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: likeit

ORIGINAL: brrman

Its a very common mod.
Okay so it requires a little trim, no problem just gotta factor in the extra cost now. (new paint and all)

The one peice 99.5 headlight, can it be made to have clear corners with a mod? Or perhaps theres a nice 99.5 style aftermarket headlight that I should look out for instead then?

Thanks in advance!

PS: if I went a little crazy and say wanted a '02 style headlights, would I need to change the bumper or just need a trim on the fender as before?

No no - no new paint. The part you trim (a very small piece like the size of your finger) is behind the headlights and is not seen - all you need is a little touchup paint to prevent corrosion.

Yeah, you can clear corner the 1 piece headlights. I did mine a couple days ago actually. Involves 2 small drill holes from behind the housing. You drill away two tabs that hold in the amber insert, and when it comes loose you slowly cut the amber reflector away with some wire cutters. Then plug the two holes with silicone. Looks 100% better, and is very easy to do.

Adding the B6 headlights is an impossible job. Would require some very major bodywork. The new B6 bumper will in no way fit a B5 car. To my knowledge its never even been done.

hope that helps. When it comes time to do it - let us know and we can point you to some tech articles telling you exactly how to do it all.