Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newb trying to fix my daughters 99 A4

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 06:09 PM
Question Newb trying to fix my daughters 99 A4

Story begins back in May when my daughter went to have car inspected and it failed due to bad upper control arms. It was 3 weeks before I got them installed. So when she came to get the car and get the inspection she drove it for about a mile and the transmission started acting funny like it was stuck in 4th gear and the indicator on the dash was flashing. I ask the guy we bought the car from about it and he said it was probably low on tranny fluid and told me I would have to get under the car to add it. No problem another 2 weeks went by before I got around to it, (had to order special tranny fluid) so I jacked the car up level crawled under the car behind the passenger front tire and added the fluid to the tranny per the Haynes manual, let the car down and went to start it and the battery had went dead. Charged the battery and got the car started but now the transmission indicator light does not come on at all and the rpm guage works intermitently. The car will go into gear but gives a pretty hard clunk in reverse and forward. I drove it around the block acts like it is in second and will upshift on occasion. Not sure but never had any problems with the car before leaving it parked for several weeks. I'm guessing that the battery going dead has messed up something in the ECU or TCU and it will have to be reset. What I want to know it that can this be reset or does it sound like the module I'm having a problem with is fried? Next can I do everything I need to do with Vagcom to reset this? If I use Vagcom do I need to purchase the cable from Ross Tech or will the $20 cable being sold on ebay do the trick? My back ground is i have driven and repaired Chevys all my life even while I was the parts manager for a Ford Dealership, worked at AutoZone for about 5 years owned tons of cars from BMWs, Fords, VWs, Jeeps. Done suspension lifts and suspension drops, rebuilt small block chevys and a 7.3 desiel so for the most part I know enough about automobiles to be dangerous. This Audi seems like a very nice little car and for the 2 years that we've had it I would not have been afraid to drive it anywhere until now.
Thanks for any suggestion you guys can give me.
Tim

Last edited by tplumlee; 07-22-2009 at 06:47 PM. Reason: clarification