Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to stickshift

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 02:53 AM
dan
2nd Gear
Default RE: New to stickshift

you get use to it, you'll eventually feel when you need more gas or less gas etc.

Practice your footwork when your watching tv and stuff, just rock your feet back and forth with nice smooth motion trying to keep them even. One goes up, one comes down.

Also, another thing you can play with is sitting on a slight hill facing up the hill and try to hold yourself there without the brake. It takes some time but you get a really good feel for the clutch and the gas balance you need to use.

Old 04-25-2006, 03:22 AM
1st Gear

thanks for all the help guys you guys seriosuly are awsome. I just need the damn car in my drive way my uncle keeps saying that hes not done with it yet and all cause its it has a few dents and stuff and hes telling me that he doenst have time to get it fixed. So i keep having to wait longer and longer. So hopefully i can get that car in my drive way soon so i can practice it alittle get used to it. Everyones so damn protective over their cars i cant even touch ne of them to atleast practice on those. But thanks guy ill keep all of this in mind.

Old 04-25-2006, 03:29 AM
1st Gear

Name of the game is to be smooth. Every sputter, every jerky movement is unnecessary wear. Do whatever you have to, then work one kink at a time. you'll def get used to it.

i dunno about getting the car moving from dead still with no gas, but practicing start is a great idea. empty back street: engage first...disengage stop....repeat x a billion
and do this uphill too!

Old 04-25-2006, 03:52 AM
1st Gear

nice ill give that a try

Old 04-25-2006, 04:51 AM
1st Gear

I'm gonna second the idea of getting the car started on a flat gorund w/o gas. especially if the car was still running in the enriched idle mode.

i recomend having a really good concept of how transmissions and motors work. Starting and stopping is only half the battle, knowing when to shift up and down, and why you are doing it is the second half that will make you a much better driver. Anyone can tell you "if the needle drops below 2 down shift, and if it goes above 4 shift" but that doesn't apply to all driving situations, and you'd be a much better driver if you understood to shift/notshift when you need/dont need power.

When my little sister was learing to drive, my parents and other sisters gave her the whole "shift when the needle reaches here" routine. I sat down and told her how everything worked, explained power curves, and she said it was the best understanding she had of shifting yet.

Starting and stopping are kinda no-brainers, and only are the beginning of the learning of how to drive a stick properly. Then comes engine braking, heel-toing (which doesn't neccessarly mean you need to use your heel btw), down shifting before turns, rev-matching, etc. Understanding what a transmission does relative to the motor will make you that much better of a driver in all conditions.

Old 04-25-2006, 04:59 AM
2nd Gear

Yep... once I sat down and looked at a diagram of what is going on, it really helped me understand why I have to do things like rev matching, downshifting before turns, etc.

speaking of which, I had tons of fun driving home from work double clutching, heel-toe double clutching, etc. I love it!

Old 04-25-2006, 05:43 AM
1st Gear

do you guys know where i can get this information from? like a book hopefully somewhere online or something? Thanks

Old 04-25-2006, 05:51 AM
5th Gear

look online for more info i have seen a lot, what you need is a friend with a bigger truck preferably a diesel they are the best to learn in cuz they are so easy the torque will just pull you along so you can get the fundamentals of the whole thing down before you do the car a lot, then once you drive the car it will be a lot easier to do cuz you have a lot less to worry about beings as how you would already know the basics

Old 04-25-2006, 06:53 AM
1st Gear

Well in my opinion I would find a decent length hill that's pretty easy sloping but not too easy. Enough to where u can just put the car in 2nd gear and roll down. Now you gotta find this at night when it's empty so you don't **** people off. If you live in washington i could show u the perfect hill. I drive through it in traffic all the time and this is where I got the idea.

So find the hill. And stop on it. Shift the car to 2nd gear (because this is a pretty easy gear that u can roll at a decent speed and then u don't have to worry about shifting)

Then practice letting the clutch out slowly and the break. But you have to get a decent roll before you can let the clutch out all the way otherwise the car might sputter a little.

As you let the clutch out slowly you should be able to feel and hear the engine take over. You'll be able to find your clutch release point by doing this a few times. Hopefully by the time u get to the bottom of the hill. So you wanna stop on the hill a couple times before you get to the bottom. This will be less wear and u don't have to worry about jolting. Once you get the release point down then it'll become a 2nd nature and u can think about how much gas is needed. Because how much gas u need depends on a lot of things. And you don't need any gas going down a hill =)

Good luck!

Old 04-25-2006, 07:46 AM
1st Gear

The basic concepts of shifting are this. If you've ridden a bicycle w/ gears, it's kinda the same concept. Your legs peddling are the motor, and the gears are well, the gears.

You are peddling along, you want to go faster, you peddle harder. Soon you can't peddle any harder, so you shift into the next gear, and you don't have to peddle as fast to maintain the newly found faster speed. Say you then hit the brakes for whatever reason, and then want to speed up again. Without shifting, you start peddling. You have to peddle really quickly to even have the hopes of getting any power per stroke of peddling. However, if you down shift, you don't have to peddle as quickly to achieve the same amount of speed. If you are peddling along, and then suddenly shift into a lower gear, you have to peddle much faster to maintain that speed.

Think of that in terms of your car. You're driving along, and you start to accelerate. the rpms climb, soon you hit redline, and then you have to shift. The rpms drop, but you're still accelerating. You then hit the brakes, and you floor it. No power, the motor isn't spinning up, and you're hardly gaining speed. You down shift. rpms increase, as does your acceleration.

Back to the bicycle. If you're not racing, you have an ideal speed you're willing to peddle at w/ your legs, otherwise you're going ot wear yourself out. You shift your gears accordingly, so that you don't have to peddle too hard, nor too quickly.

Take the power/torque curve of your car. See how it climbs with rpm? Think of that as your relative amount of power you can put out based peddling. This is how your car performs around shifting. If you're at too low an rpm, you won’t make that much power to move. At too high a rpm, your motor will explode, just like if you peddle too fast, you will explode (). Your body energy in peddling is the same as the gas in your car. If you want to putt around town, you don't want to waste a lot of energy/gas. Power is from energy. Therefore, you want to keep the rev's down, thus not exerting too much energy to get around. You're not racing, so it doesn’t matter that you're not going all out.

I hope this makes sense...