Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Clutch Recomendations

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 09:50 AM
1st Gear
Default New Clutch Recomendations

My car is need of a new clutch. I don't want to go OEM, what is a good upgrade for a reasonable price? I'll be chipping it w/ an exhaust early spring. Possibly K04 Upgrade... depends on cashflow and what else decides to go wrong with my car.

Please list suppliers / sites

Preferably Canadian (Ontario) Suppliers, but US will do.

Thanks!

Old 12-18-2007, 10:53 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: New Clutch Recomendations

my clutch is getting weak..... so im most def interested to see what people are buying. i wouldnt replace mine with the oem either..how long did yours last? im at 90K right now and its on the way out. (90K for the original clutch is TERRIBLE in my opinion)

Old 12-18-2007, 10:55 AM
1st Gear

I wont lie.... I'm already on my second OEM clutch.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:59 AM

ORIGINAL: nordska

my clutch is getting weak..... so im most def interested to see what people are buying. i wouldnt replace mine with the oem either..how long did yours last? im at 90K right now and its on the way out. (90K for the original clutch is TERRIBLE in my opinion)
90k miles is good IMHO. A clutch can go in 10 miles of repetive launches, or 150k if you let revs fall of between gears,don't do city driving,let clutch out quickly to start. Having said that my car has now 117,000 miles and is good,but its a pennsyltuckey car from some guy in west bumblefuck with all back roads and no stop and go driving. OEM clutches on Audis aren't that great for performance driving from what i've read though, such as launching, fast shifts,slipping em on the downshifts, pretty much racetrack stuff. I'm intrested in some peoples opnions on the options for aftermarket 2 as I am not 2 fond of the OEM clutch/flywheel combo on the audi's.

Old 12-18-2007, 04:38 PM
2nd Gear

im at 75k, 15k chipped with 1+ and i launch hard regularly and drive pretty hard on the interstate..... no problems and not a slip ever..... ill probably get a southbend fe ss when its time....well if my car actually needs a tank clutch then anyway

Old 12-18-2007, 06:45 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: Papachristou

im at 75k, 15k chipped with 1+ and i launch hard regularly and drive pretty hard on the interstate..... no problems and not a slip ever..... ill probably get a southbend fe ss when its time....well if my car actually needs a tank clutch then anyway
Well you have an ultrasport 6 speed right? You have a much stronger clutch than a B5 5 speed, but not that much stronger.
Its true that OEM clutches were only designed for normal driving, quattro will tear the friction material right off the disc when launching it. So getting a clutch that doesn't have that crap organic material would be best, southbend makes a good clutch. Clutchmasters FX series are also very good for the price.
In my honest opinion, i wouldn't get anything less than stage 2, even if its stock.

Old 12-18-2007, 07:11 PM

Spec I hear is really good to.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:15 PM
1st Gear

southbend stage 2 kevlar is what i have... and i freaking love it...it will handle just about whatever you throw at it fora while

Old 12-19-2007, 12:24 AM

ORIGINAL: auditech79

ORIGINAL: Papachristou

What clutch would u recomend for mostly city driving,decently smooth engagment and streetable,but able to handle a once a month launch and last another at least 80k miles? Maybe a lower catchin clutch.

Well you have an ultrasport 6 speed right? You have a much stronger clutch than a B5 5 speed, but not that much stronger.
Its true that OEM clutches were only designed for normal driving, quattro will tear the friction material right off the disc when launching it. So getting a clutch that doesn't have that crap organic material would be best, southbend makes a good clutch. Clutchmasters FX series are also very good for the price.
In my honest opinion, i wouldn't get anything less than stage 2, even if its stock.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:47 PM
Site Moderator

[/quote] What clutch would u recomend for mostly city driving,decently smooth engagment and streetable,but able to handle a once a month launch and last another at least 80k miles? Maybe a lower catchin clutch.

[/quote]

City driving you won't need a puck style clutch disc, look at the stage 3 clutch disc on www.clutchmasters.com which has a full disc for smoother engagement. If treated right that clutch could last way over 100k miles.

Quick Reply: New Clutch Recomendations