Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New B5 owner- first Audi!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 05:39 AM
1st Gear
Default New B5 owner- first Audi!

Hi everyone, I just got a 99.5 A4 1.8T Quattro w/5spd. It's my first Audi. I have to admit I am taking a risk b/c of problems I hear about. I am raised on Hondas and Toyotas.

But, I figured to try the original that others try to emulate. Plus, I fell in love w/ the drive dynamics and solid feel. The Quattro handles like a dream and the size of the car is perfect; sporty and luxurious but not pretentious.
I probably would have never gotten one but my friend has a A4 Quattro (maybe he is on this site) and when I sat in it I was like, "damn, this is a nice car!" I was considering the Jetta but made in Mexico... not for me.

I've been using the search for questions- and I'll post pics of my car soon. I like it, I think the prev. owner put a S4 steering wheel in it.. maybe it's just regular dunno. It's got that symbol on the bottom spoke and is shaped nicely.

PROBLEM AREAS, would really like your advice.
1. biggest thing is I noticed a "chirping" or "squealing" at idle. It goes away as I accelerate and I can't hear it w/ the windows up but at idle, it's def. noticeable. I am tempted to spray some belt dressing on it but don't want to screw anything up- very unfamiliar w/ german cars.
Thru my search, possible that it is the AC belt tensioner?? Are there other possibilities I should look into?

2. Black rubber piece at the bottom of drivers door (exterior) is torn. Is there a internet store I can buy this piece inexpensively?
--------------------------------------------------------
Still getting used to the quirks of the Audi- I'm so used to Toyota/Honda switchgear... for example, the headlight lever! haha. And what's w/ that stupid torx oil drain plug?? ugh, hate non-standard stuff. KISS and use metric bolts. sorry

Anyway, going into it expecting to do a bit more upkeep but I love the driving experience. It really is a cut above.
Pics soon!
Sorry this is so long- Thanks guys!

Old 11-28-2006, 06:17 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: New B5 owner- first Audi!

Hello, and welcome to Audi's and the forums!

I cant help ya on problem one but if your talking about the lower door molding. then try your local dealership or go to www.ecstuning.com to save a few bucks.

And yea, get some pics up.
Wat color and mileage did you get?

Old 11-28-2006, 12:34 PM
1st Gear

I have the exact same car, and it is my first Audi and I am happy so far. I do a little reading on this forum at least once a day. I have learned alot. The problems I have had so far... Replaced both CV axles (torn boots), my headliner is drooping (in the prosess of getting a complete new one). I upgraded to a Forge DV and a APR race N75 because they were cheap upgrades, and worth it. And it is in the shop today getting a new rear wheel bearing. But, I bought it used 96K mi, so once I put a few $ into it, it will feel brand new.

Welcome to the Audi world.

Old 11-28-2006, 12:43 PM
4th Gear

The A/C belt should be replaced when the timing belt job is done,
before 90K mi.

Old 11-28-2006, 12:58 PM
4th Gear

Welcome to the forum!

We love pictures here, when you get a chance.....

1. loose belt. try and figure out which one, replace it or maybe belt-dressing for the short term. Not too bad of a DIY

2. Lower door moldings - easy to replace, about $30 apeice ecstuning.com

Glad to see you searched a little before you posted.

What color is the car? Looks like you got the right setup, 1.8TQM

Old 11-28-2006, 01:25 PM
Site Moderator

Welcome to the forums. Congrats on the new ride.

How many miles are on it? What color is it?

The steering wheel is probably the 3 spoke sport steering wheel. The little logo at the bottom with the wide red section and 2 smaller silver sections is the Audi Sport symbol.

Are you sure it's the motor oil drain plug? You may be looking at the tranny drain plug. The motor in out cars is extremely far forward. Once the belly pan is off (if you even have one), it's in front of the sway bar on the passenger side. Here's a pic. The part that's unbolted is the turbo oil return line.

If you plan on doing all your own work there's a couple basic things you'll need besides the usual tools. Torx set, allen set, and a Bentley manual.

Old 11-28-2006, 02:17 PM
1st Gear

Bentley manual was well worth the $$

Old 11-28-2006, 02:41 PM
3rd Gear

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

sweet first time I get to use this...

Old 11-28-2006, 06:05 PM
4th Gear

Welcome to the Audi Forums, glad your here. Nice ride, its definitly a step up from Honda/Toyota, read and learn here. Enjoy!

Old 11-28-2006, 08:31 PM
1st Gear

Here are pics of my ride.

The chrome handles rattle so there is a metal "ting" when you close the door.
Also the whole black piece is loose. Is there a fix?

Below is the dipstick- it is loose and doesn't "lock down". Is the stick missing a piece or the fill hole end?
Need to know what replacement I need to order-thanks

Changed the oil and it was easy. I changed the filter from reaching in so I didn't even have to crawl under (used the suction device too)

- Stealership prices: oil filter (big one) $16.50
- lower door trim $49! I will order thru your guys internet suggestion for $30!

Quick Reply: New B5 owner- first Audi!