Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 03:19 PM
Unhappy Need some help.

Hello, im new, my name is Casey, I live in DE and im 23. Im having a little problem and I figured someone should be able to help me.
I own a 1998 Audi A4 2.8 quattro with 162,000. I havent had any real problems with it except maitenece work. I have noticed a kind of a shifting noise right under the car where the shifter is and you can feel it in the floor board on the passengers side only. It makes this shifting noise going from front to back when accelerating real fast or stoping quick. It also makes this shifting noise while turning sharply which sounds like its going to the side that I turn. I looked under the car, everything seems to be intact although it is covered in casing under the car. It drives fine and everything, just makes that noise. Which like I said does not happen ALL the time only when I stop quick or turn quick or accelerate fast. It seems like there is something under there moving side to side and back to back which I cant find. I have done some work on this car, I just recently 2000 miles ago, got my drive shaft replaced at the Audi dealership, which cost me 2000$. They had to take everything apart to do this and they didnt bring anything to my attention afterwards and that is kinda the area where I hear the noise, right where that "ball" is under the shifter the big part of the drive shaft. All the other repairs are like timing belt, brakes, wheel barrings ect.... The only other complaint I can say is that when I first start the car in the morning when its cold and I jump in it and drive it, I have to drive it in the "slap shifter" for it to shift. I have to tried to drive it without using the slap shifter, and it just revs up to 2 grand and goes like 20, then im forced to stop and put it in the slap shifter. I have never really tested to see what it will do after it revs up I dont want to 'press' it. After I shift it like that, stop at a stop sign litteraly 2 miles or less down the road and put it into drive it goes by itself. If I let it warm up for about 10 minutes this does not happen I am able to just drive it in drive. The dealer told me my car was old that it needs to be warmed up. I dont know how true this is. As for the shifting noise under the car, I asked the Audi dealer and they were like it seems like an annoynace more than an actual problem, they said it was probably the seat shifting. I have no clue they didnt look at it. But ANY input ANYONE can make would be great. I love my car and I want it to last, I need it, I drive it 200 miles a day. So I rely on it. Thank you so much. Casey.
And when I say shifting noise under the car, its nothing to do with like the transmission shifting or engine, it is some part or something in the floor board shifting, I dont know if its like a fuel line or what or brake line!?!?!
Thanks

Old 02-01-2010, 02:33 PM

Anybody?

Old 02-03-2010, 02:54 PM

wow i guess i joined the wrong forum..!

Old 02-04-2010, 01:31 AM
1st Gear

i had the same problem which i fixed by changing the shifter myself to a short one, the assembly of it especially the bushing, the plastic ones go out of really easily.. it made a horrible noise and now, SEXY status!
Short shifter = 25 dollars
Me putting it in = 1-1.5 hours (would have been less if i had smaller hands )