Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need quick reply on exhaust question!! +-

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 04:28 PM
tdn
2nd Gear
Default need quick reply on exhaust question!! +-

ok, this idea is completely new to me. I called in for a quote on a custom exhaust, 01 a4 1.8t, i'm being told he can run two pipes instead of one, have one pipe swing back around.. give it a better sound, more flow.. wouldn't this be a bad considering i'm creating so much less back pressure? anyone have this done? maybe he can make the pipes smaller, so i get the same flow but better sound?

i don't think i'm going to do it, just having a single pipe is good enough for me and i don't think the sound will be much differant, besides, he's quoting me about 300 for the single pipe, maybe 500 for duals. and i need the money to get chipped next week, bills etc..

did i confuse anyone?

Old 10-03-2007, 04:33 PM
Default RE: need quick reply on exhaust question!! +-

Is this what your talking about, i splitted my pipe so now i have duals. not sure if thats what you mean...

Name:  backend.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  69.7 KB

Old 10-03-2007, 04:46 PM
Tech Guru

dual exhaust on a 1.8t would not be very conducive to back pressure, that is why most guys with a factory turbo run 2.5 inch

i would say 300 is also bunk, unless that includes the muffler and it is a really good muffler

i got 2.5 inch from just in front of the flange, cause i haven't upgraded cats and downpipe yet for 170 plus i had my own muffler

Old 10-03-2007, 04:50 PM
tdn
2nd Gear

i'm pretty sure 300 included the muffler, i told him muffler.

and a4speed, i think thats what he ment. i'm wondering if that would be worth it for a ko3/ko4? i think i'll stay with a single pipe. i don't think theres much to gain with duals unless i went bt.

Old 10-03-2007, 04:56 PM
1st Gear

dual exhaust wouldn’t do much if just add second pipe at the end of your muffler, not sure how much it will help you but while back we had dual exhaust all the way from turbo and it sounded very nice.

Old 10-03-2007, 05:00 PM

well, the single pipe is just split, it's the same thing. its not going to hurt performance, the duals is just for looks on our 1.8t, we can't have true dual exhaust.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:46 PM
tdn
2nd Gear

well i got the exhuast done today, definitely noticed some gains.. feels slightly slower at lower rpms, but once i get the turbo going theres diffenitely more punch than with the stock exhuast. could it feel slower because of the gains i'm feeling when the turbo kicks in.. so it's all in my head, or could the larger diameter affect the lower rpms?

i paid 260 for exhuast w/ out resonators,might have them put it on, for $40, but i'm going to try it out for a few days without.. sounds pretty good, but wouldn't mind if it was a little quieter inside though.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:12 PM
Tech Guru

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

Old 10-03-2007, 08:19 PM
tdn
2nd Gear

[align=left]it's pretty dark outside, i'll get some pics up tomorrow. just got back from doing some more driving around.. i love the sound at idle, but as soon as i step on the gas it gets just a little too loud. a 30% sound reduction would be perfect. wish the car was a bit more faster at lower rpms. hell, i just wish the car was faster. i'll be getting chipped tuesday if all goes well. can't wait.
[/align][align=right] [/align]

Old 10-03-2007, 08:31 PM
5th Gear

what size piping did u go with?

Quick Reply: need quick reply on exhaust question!! +-