Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need electrical help

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 08:12 PM
4th Gear
Default need electrical help

OK, need some help.

Car wont start, not even a click on the starter. Just happened all of a sudden the other day. Eveything was fine, then one time, it just would not start. No click, no nothing. Dash lights up.
Actually, if I roll the car and put it in gear, it starts and runs fine.

Had the battery tested in the car. Battery tested fine.

So, where do I go from here? I cant get to the starter wires without taking the A/c compressor off first. Does anyone know which relay under the dash is for the starter? I want to test it if I can before I take the car all apart.

I searched, it seems that sometimes it could be the starter thats bad, or some ignition switch somewhere. Does anyone know what ignition switch/relay people are referring to?

Just looking for other trouble spots to check before i take this ac compressor off. Its a 97 1.8t, and getting to the starter is kind of a beotch.

Old 11-20-2006, 08:30 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: need electrical help

Check this out..
http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec91.shtml

Either way its going to be a beotch. I would suspect the ignition switch though. You know there was a recall on 96/97 ignition switches? Try to get ahold of arif and meet up and he might scan your ecu. Might want to check for any stored soft codes that may point to the problem.
Most people have headlight/windshield wiper issues when the ig. switch goes bad though. Example: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15435269/ But either way, seeing as there was a recall, i would at least call the dealer to find out if your car had ever had it replaced. All you should have to do is give them your vin#, even if it wasnt that particular dealer that serviced it. Do you know how to check your starter with a voltmeter?? I dont, but if you can, do you think you have to remove the ac compressor to get to it to test??

Old 11-20-2006, 08:53 PM
4th Gear

Thanks.

I dont think its the switch, no other probelms like headlights, wipers, etc. they still work for me if I turn them on.

I think I'm going to move the compressor and try to test from there, my first inclination is the starter/starter selonoid.

I'll let you know if thats the cuplrit.

Old 11-21-2006, 04:26 AM
Site Moderator

Any luck?

Old 11-21-2006, 04:06 PM
4th Gear

Got the starter out, going to get a new one today, put it in tonight.

It wasn't too bad, just crap in the way.

I removed the AC compressor mounting and swung the compressor out of the way. Then I could reach the starter terminals. I had the wife turn the key while I checked for voltage. I was getting a good 12v plus at the starter.

So according to the haynes, if you have power and no turning, either the starter is bad, or the engine is locked. I know my engine is not locked cause I drove it home!!!!

I bench tested the starter in my garage, it does seem to be dead. So, Other than the $150 or so its going to cost for a new starter, all is well.

The biggest pain I had was trying to loosen the altenator tensioner with the bumper still on. I am still fighting with that one, but a different wrench should get me by that.

Old 11-21-2006, 04:30 PM
Site Moderator

So you didnt have to take any of the freon lines off or anything when moving the compressor out of the way?? Good to know! How loong would you say it took you to get it out?

Old 11-21-2006, 06:09 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: onepoint8tee

So you didnt have to take any of the freon lines off or anything when moving the compressor out of the way?? Good to know! How loong would you say it took you to get it out?
No, you just leave the lines attached, and swing it out of the way. The compressor itself, (once you get the belt off) only takea a few minutes to remove the 4 bolts.

Probably took me about 30 minutes total to move the compressor, undo the starter bolts, disconnect the wiring, and pull it out of there. Its a little hard to get to, but is garage-do-able. It would have been way easier if the car was on a lift. Just a little harder when your crawling under the car without much clearance above your head, and your trying to look around and find where the bolts are and things!

Hey, any Columbus Ohio guys, there is a great import shop called mid-state auto on the north side of town. I have used them before for my z, but they always can get just about anything audi same day if you call them in the morning, parts will be there in the afternoon, and their prices are absolutely the best fo audi parts. Got the new starter there for $175. Check them out before the dealer, way better deals and they can get anything.

Old 11-21-2006, 06:15 PM
Site Moderator

Nice good to know.. So when does the starter go in? Tonight?

Old 11-21-2006, 06:18 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: onepoint8tee

Nice good to know.. So when does the starter go in? Tonight?
Yeah, I'll be putting it in tonight. Now that its apart, I anticipate things going back together fairly easily. You'll see me posting tonight if I run into any trouble!

Old 11-22-2006, 05:17 PM
4th Gear

Dont know if anyone was following this thread, but.....

Got the starter back in fine, everything works normally again.

If anyone ever has b5 1.8t starter questions, I'm your guy.

1(easy)-10(hard) scale:

Diagnosing problem: 5

Removing and replacing starter: 6

Did in my garage jacking up right side of vehicle onto a jackstand.