Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nav/Video Double Din Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 12:50 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Nav/Video Double Din Stereo

Why not purchase an RNS-E it's factory fit, works perfectly, works with the center display, & can play video.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:14 PM

RNS E lacks a lot of features that aftermarket has, doesn't have as good of sound quality or EQ features, can't run NAV in background if wanting to watch CD/DVD, can't split zones for front/rear LCD screens... the only thing (and it is a big thing, though) RNS E has is that it's OE.

As for the question on the e-brake wire...... it isn't the ebrake wire you're grounding. It is the wire coming from your new head unit that is supposed to go to the ebrake. Instead of running it to the ebrake, you just ground it to any part of the chassis. So, just to be sure, you take the wire from your new stereo head unit that says "ebrake" or something like that, and just ground it to chassis. That simple. On Alpine and others, it isn't that easy. But on Kenwoods, it is.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 06-19-2007, 01:57 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: fahquad
RNS E lacks a lot of features that aftermarket has, doesn't have as good of sound quality or EQ features, can't run NAV in background if wanting to watch CD/DVD, can't split zones for front/rear LCD screens... the only thing (and it is a big thing, though) RNS E has is that it's OE.
[align=left] [/align]
True, you don't have duel zone on video, but you can run nav & use other sources at the same time. The sound is good, better then the stock Bose system. But you can add one of the cool new Blau, or Alpine amps that are made for factory systems.

I have the Kenwood touch screen Nav in my EVO, some things are better, but some are not. Touch screen is really nice, but the route directions & nav screen are not as good. I do LOVE the HD radio & the NAV traffic. The simple fact I have to take my eyes off the road to look at the Nav sucks, the center display of the RNS-E ROCKS! The RNS-E is also faster to make corrections & searching for POI's. I don't have vidoe on my E, but on the Kenwood is nice.

Also the Kenwood has like 6 modules hidden in the car, & cost almost $3500 for everything plus install. The E was $1500 for everything, & took me 20 min to install.

Old 06-19-2007, 04:11 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: fahquad

As for the question on the e-brake wire...... it isn't the ebrake wire you're grounding. It is the wire coming from your new head unit that is supposed to go to the ebrake. Instead of running it to the ebrake, you just ground it to any part of the chassis. So, just to be sure, you take the wire from your new stereo head unit that says "ebrake" or something like that, and just ground it to chassis. That simple. On Alpine and others, it isn't that easy. But on Kenwoods, it is.
[align=left][/align]
How do you ground it? Just tape the stripped part and tape it to the chassis? I really have no idea lol.

Old 06-19-2007, 05:15 PM

Here is the simple way. Take the marking off of the wire that says "ebrake' or whatever it says, and just pretend it's another ground wire. Just find a bolt or nut on the chassis somewhere and use it to ground that wire. All it wants to know is that the ebrake is on so you can watch video or do NAV functions and the car isn't moving. when the ebrake is on, it completes a circuit and tells that wire it is grounded. So, you fool that wire coming from the stereo in to thinking your ebrake is always on by just grounding to any metal part of the car.
Disclaimer: If you wreck because your dumb azz is watching TV while driving, it ain't my fault, lol.
[align=left] [/align]