Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nav/Video Double Din Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 12:11 AM
1st Gear
Default Nav/Video Double Din Stereo

Since the electronics forums is basically dead ive decided to post it here.

I want to get the Kenwood DDX 8019 with navigation system and install it in my 2004 A4 without Bose. My questions are pretty simple.

Will this wiring harness fit? Ive heard that there is no wiring harness avail for the A4s.
http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/produ...productid=1194

Will this dash kit work if I cut out the middle section?
http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/produ...productid=2465

Do I need a radio antenna adapter? If so will this fit
http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/produ...?productid=561

I would like to ground the e-brake wire. anyone know how to do this? im not very savvy when it comes to electronics...

Old 06-18-2007, 11:15 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Nav/Video Double Din Stereo

as far as the kit and antenna adapter, they look right. as for the wiring harness i dont have a 100% answer, a buddy did the wiring for me and i never really asked if he used a harness. i have the kenwood model before the one you're looking to get, and used the same kit. if you need pics let me know i can snap some later

Old 06-18-2007, 12:51 PM
1st Gear

ok thanks. ill try to install it myself and if I have any problems ill post em. And I think ill just find the e-brake wire and ground it to the chassis, thats what everyone is saying to do.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:56 PM

I have Kenwood and yes the ground to chassis trick works. The harness adapter does not. Not sure if you have B6. If so, you need to make sure the K-Line is taken out of the loop. Or else it could blow up diagnostic tools. Some dealers won't even plug in a VAG diagnostic tool to a B6 with aftermarket stereos because of this. Seems the harness adapter sends a 12V signal through the K-Line and ruins diagnostic tools.
In retrospect, I should've spliced all wires because the harness needed jerry-rigged so much that it was more of a pain than anything. Things like front and rear speaksers using same negative and such.... not sure if that was one of the things since it's been a few years since install, but anyhow, some of the wires are correct, and some are not.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 06-18-2007, 03:42 PM
1st Gear

since i am electronically retarted when it comes to wires and such i have no idea what you just said. can you explain again? ill post some pics of my a4 (taken from my phone so be nice) so you can see if i have a b6 or not...i think i have a b5.

Old 06-18-2007, 05:12 PM
1st Gear

thats a b6

Old 06-18-2007, 05:40 PM

As mentioned, you have a B6. On that model, the factory head unit "communicates" with the on-board diagnostics, and also with the dash for the in-dash display. Concerning the on board diagnostics communication part of it, it does through what is called a "K-line", which is really just a blue (I think it was blue; can't remember) wire in the harness. The aftermarket harness adapter routes a 12v signal to this wire by mistake in some cases. When this occurs, that 12v signal will fry a dealer's diagnostic tool. Newer tools have a failsafe to detect this and prevent it from happening. Some do not. However, some dealers are really stupid and stubborn and won't even plug a VAG diagnostic plug in to your car if you have aftermarket stereo.
This "K-line" thing does not affect your aftermarket stereo and you'd never know anything was wrong until you plug a VAG diagnostic tool in to check the car and it fizzles. Do search for "K line" on other audi forums and it will pop up everywhere.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 06-18-2007, 05:44 PM
1st Gear

that makes so much sense thanks. but doesnt that mean that the harness will still work? i mean worst case i find the 12v connecting wire and pull it.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:02 PM

Yeah, it can still work. That wasn't the only problem, though, just the one that you'd never even know was a problem. It depends on if you plan to use any of the stock components or are doing all new amps as well. A lot of the wires weren't in the right spot on the harness plug itself to re-use any stock amps. So my theory is that if I have to splice >1 wire, it's cleaner to just do them all and shrink wrap them for a nice neat install. The harness is bulky, so adding splicing to it is overkill in my opinion. The only benefit of a harness adapter is to be able to return to stock easily. If you're splicing at all, that defeats that purpose and you might as well splice it all. Just an opinion. But trust that it isn't as easy as just plugging the harness adapter in and you're good to go. There is always one wire in the wrong spot, it seems.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 06-19-2007, 01:35 AM
1st Gear

alright ill keep that in mind when i upgrade in about a year from the stock amps. So as of right now ill get the wiring harness and everything and link it all up and see if anything isnt working and ill go from there. Then ill try and find the e-brake wire and connect that to the ground.

My only problem is finding the e-brake wire and grounding it. Im the complete opposite of a good electrician so could you tell me where to find the wire and how to ground it? This is the last question...i think. Thank you so much for your help. Ill try to post pics of the install to give back to the forum.

Quick Reply: Nav/Video Double Din Stereo