Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it my starter??

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 02:26 PM
1st Gear
Default Is it my starter??

The reason im posting it here cuz there more traffic on this section. So i tried to start up my mom's car tonight and it doesn't start. It doesn't even crank, all you hear is real fast click,click,click,click......... I think it is the starter unless anyone else have any other ideas pls let me know.

Old 06-15-2006, 02:40 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Is it my starter??

first try tapping the starter somewhat hard with a wrench or hammer........works wonders if your starter is starting to go

Old 06-15-2006, 02:43 PM
3rd Gear

Check the battery first, also what kind of car is it? That might help us help you, is it an a4.. what motor… do you hear the fuel pump cycle on.. sounds to me it’s the starter not to sure where they are located on these cars never changed one on a Audi but if you can get to it try hitting it with a wrench a few times might start up.. but if it dose your still going to need to replace it..

Old 06-15-2006, 03:21 PM
1st Gear

oh yea, its a 99 toyota 4runner. I know about banging on the starter but it was like 12 at night and it was dark and i had no idea where is the starter on my mom's truck is so i just left the truck there. I don't think it's the battery cuz the light and everything turns on. I will try banging on it today. Just thought maybe someone experience with this continueous clicking sound before.

Old 06-15-2006, 03:27 PM
1st Gear

when i had that problem i replaced my ignition switch and my alternator and it went away. but i think the problem was the alternator.

Old 06-15-2006, 04:37 PM
4th Gear

Normally what you described is due to a battery starting to go.

The starter clicks as it is not getting enough juice.

Did you try jump starting it? If you jumpstart it and it starts, you need a new battery. (of course you will want to connect the running vehicle and let it charge for a few minutes before trying it.)

Old 06-15-2006, 04:48 PM
3rd Gear

Just because the lights turn on dose not mean your battery is not low.. if its a manual pop start the bitch.. but yea do what acetrebo said first its alot easier then crawling under and trying to tap the starter.. could have overheated the stater as well use to happen all the time in my camaro had the car benn driven. if i went some where that was about 30 minutes away, i would always have to let the car cool for about an hour b4 it would start again... nothing worked it sucked the headers i had on the car ran right next to the started about an inch from touching it was gay but nothing i could do about it..

Old 06-15-2006, 08:12 PM
1st Gear

when you turn the key what does the voltage meter on the dash reading sounds like a dead battery nto me

Old 06-15-2006, 08:58 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for all the info, it was the battery. I will have them the the alternator too.

Old 06-16-2006, 01:58 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Dr!ven

Thanks for all the info, it was the battery. I will have them the the alternator too.
Yes, check the alternator too. Typically, I change car OEM batteries after 3 years, and aftermarket around 4.
It could just be an old battery if it's past 5 years.

The "clicking" is not the starter, it's the relay. The starter draws a LOT of current, and thus requires a relay.
Dash/interior lights draw very little current so even a low battery can light them up.

Quick Reply: Is it my starter??