Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My friend's 2002 A4...crashed 3 days after buying it!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 06:26 PM
2nd Gear
Default My friend's 2002 A4...crashed 3 days after buying it!

So let me start out by saying this is not my car...I'm posting on behalf of a friend. I went along on a test drive and gave my blessing before he bought it (got one of those sweet Audi Sport travel coffee cups for my trouble...thanks Tim!)

Anyways...my poor buddy lets one of his friends (no, not me) drive his new A4 about 3 days after he picked it up. The friend is wearing flip flops, starts hydroplaning through a turn and mistakenly blips the throttle with his flip flop when he tries to hit the brakes....long story short, the car ends up through a guardrail into a ditch.

Some pictures below...we think there's no oil in the engine due to a ripped bellyplan, the radiator and AC unit are shot as well, as is the muffler, along with the obvious damage to the front end body. Good news is the insurance is covering everything, so he'll probably just get it fixed at the Audi dealer he just bought it from. I'm thinking he'll need a new front bumper, probably both front quarterpanels, and maybe a new hood. The radiator/AC/oil pan/muffler should be fairly straighforward, i'm just worried about other internals....control arms, axels, engine mounts, CV joints, etc. He doesn't THINK the frame is bent...if it is, that's a whole different ball of wax.

With dealer prices taken into account, my friend is thinking repairs will be at least 5 grand...all subject to change if they find other damage. I'm thinking it'll probably end up closer to 7-8 grand. What do you guys think? Any tips for him while dealing with his insurance company? (Geico)

I think he just payed about 18K for this, with 45K miles...no way it's totaled, right? Thanks!

Old 09-05-2006, 06:38 PM
Administrator
Default RE: My friend's 2002 A4...crashed 3 days after buying it!

SUCKS MAN

if this can be restored im sure ur friends can be
if there isnt frame damage and the air bags still intacted

Old 09-05-2006, 06:48 PM
Zombie Defense Force

wow sucks. every time i see these kinds of threads it reminds me of y only i drive my car

Old 09-05-2006, 06:57 PM
1st Gear

I'll take the rims if he cant fix it.

Old 09-05-2006, 06:58 PM
1st Gear

I'll take the rims if he cant fix it.

Old 09-05-2006, 07:03 PM
2nd Gear

^^^^^Wow, the vultures are already circling...I swear, guys on AudiForums can smell oil/tranny fluid on pavement like sharks smell blood in the water

Yeah, the airbags didn't blow, and the frame doesn't look bent, so i'd be shocked if they total it. Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Old 09-05-2006, 07:04 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: TheJazz7

^^^^^Wow, the vultures are already circling...I swear, guys on AudiForums can smell oil/tranny fluid on pavement like sharks smell blood in the water

Yeah, the airbags didn't blow, and the frame doesn't look bent, so i'd be shocked if they total it. Thanks for the kind words everyone.
i bought mine as a total loss

Old 09-05-2006, 07:07 PM
5th Gear

damn that sux thats why friends DONT let friends drive their cars. The second day i had my license i let my best friend take out my Mustang 5.0. as we're leaving his neighborhood i tell him not to do anything stupid, and the first thing he does is launch the car. he redlines first gear and as he shifts into second he lets the clutch out before he gets it into gear and the car makes the worst sound ever. ever since then the car would grind almost everytime you shifted into second unless u did it a certain way. sucked so bad. but ya, i'd say your estimate of 7-8 is about right. i had similar damage to my 98 and it was 6k but my undercarraige wasn't damaged at all like his is.

Old 09-05-2006, 08:34 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: TheJazz7

I just LOL'd

Old 09-05-2006, 09:07 PM
1st Gear

Panda.....I did the same.

Looks identical. LOL.

Had to change rad support, ac condensor, radiator, fan shroud assembly, hood, and some other little pieces.

I still need front bumper and fix my rt front fender. Glad I did it though. Only have $14k into my $20k car.

Quick Reply: My friend's 2002 A4...crashed 3 days after buying it!