Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first A4 list of problems, i need an expert advice (pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 08:06 PM
1st Gear
Default My first A4 list of problems, i need an expert advice (pictures)

Hi guys, first of all, and before anyone starts saying the typical "READ BEFOR YOU POST" i have to say that i got 3 weeks or so reading and reading, but there are some problems that i cant find the solution in other post(maybe because i just didn't have luck). Anyway, here are some pictures and some problems of my car, please, someone help me... Thanks a lot!!!

First... my car is a 1999 Audi A4 1.8T with, Sport Package, Tip Trans, S4 Front bumper, H&R Coilovers, Borla Cat-Back, brembo rotors, 17" Enkey mm2 wheels whit BF goodrich G-force sport tires, and a RF sound system. That's how i got it from the seller, i have to tell that was a sweet deal.
Here are some pictures...

Now, here are my problems:

1.- When i first got the car, there was a missfyring in the cylinder 2, i found (in other post) that it was a commun problem, and i found the solution changing the ICM (ignition control module). Then, a local shop plug it into VAG-COM (i'm watching some cables right now on ebay, but i just can figure out whats the best deal), and he checked almost everything and told me that the car was in very good conditions.

That happen about 3 weeks ago, but the other day, i was in a friend's house, whit the music on, and the battery died, buy my friend got cables and we start the car with the help of my friends car. I'm not sure if that causes my failure, but after about 4 days of that incident, the motor start miss fyring again, and the check engine light starts blinking, then, it was just ON... But after a few miles (about 3) the motor starts working normally, and the next day the check engine was of... i'm confused about that... and yesterday it start miss fyring again!!!! but this time, the check engine was allways blinking (except for a few moments when the light was completly ON). Ok... let's see, i forgot to tell before that the ICM that i putted was USED, but it works fine until now (3 weeks), so i'm thinking about just buying a new one from ebay, or maybe check something else that it could be the cause of the ICM failure.

2.- I live in a XTREMLY HOT town, the summer is pretty much like hell, and my A/C unit is not working properly, i found here the way to run a diagnostic tool and displayed some codes:

It looks like first of all i have to change the refrigerant high pressure switch, then move on...

3.- The breakes... well, theres something wrong with a caliper... after a stop sign, sometimes it sounds (from one wheel only) that the caliper is pushing the pads, then i just stop hearing the noise when the speed increase, and when i'm stopping, the pedal sometimes make a weird noise and gets harder to push... kinda push itself back upward.

4.- I'm having a turbo leak, i'm pretty sure is just the gasket, so i got a new gasket (turbo exhaust gasket), but i just need to know how hard is to change it, should i just pay for someone to do it, or i can do it myself.

5.- Almost forgot... my tip was working great when i first got the car, but about 2 weeks ago, the shift **** button was stuck out, i just cant push it, so i have to towl my car to the shop, and after a few hours, they call me to tell me it was ready. i took the car out, and then i realize that the tip wasn't working anymore, so i read some post about it and found that the magnet sometime get out of place and cause this, but after removing my whole center console, i found the the small magnet in the black plastic cover (or duster) was in place, but i found another magnet (a bigger one) loose in the floor, so i tried to remove my shift ****, but the instructions i found here, didn't work for me, becuase the plastic ring under that **** dont exist in my car, so i can pull out the ****. I need to know two things: where to put the big magnet, and how to get there..

small magnet (from the black plastic cover) looks like:

IIIIIII

Big magnet (i dont know from where) looks like:

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Thanks guys, and i hope someone can help me.

I used to be a aircooled guy (1962 westy), but i always wanted an Audi, so here i am.

Old 07-16-2006, 08:11 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: My first A4 list of problems, i need an expert advice (pictures)

One more thing, i need to raise a bit my suspension (h&r coilovers) , what i need to do that? Thanks again

Old 07-16-2006, 09:43 PM
4th Gear

You shouldn't be driving the car with the CEL blinking. Have the car VAGed. You might need an ignition coil for cylinder 2. You could swap it with another cylinder and see if the code changes.

Old 07-16-2006, 11:39 PM
4th Gear

Agree with the first part.

Don't drive with a blinking CEL. Have someone with a vagcom pull the codes and post them here.

Could be a bad ignition coil, or the ignition module or as simple as bad plugs. I'm too lazy to look up if you have an ignition module, It will be a metal box screwed to the top of the air filter box. As you have noted, they often go bad on cyl 2. The cheapest way to find out is to record the codes, clear them and swap the coil to another cyl. If the misfire is now on a different cyl, it is the coil and is about a 30 dollar fix.

2. The cabes on ebay are not vagcom. They MAY work with the shareware but wont give full functionality. You're better off getting a real vagcom from Ross-tech which gives you the full software package.

Gasket at the turbo is not hard, except that the bolts are usually frozen in place. You will need to spray them the night be fore to give you any chance of loosening them. Make sure that that is where the exhaust leak is, not the flex pipe behind the cat. That is a more common place for an exhaust leak.

take the car back to the place that worked on the shift know and ask them what they did that your tip doesn't work now.

Old 07-17-2006, 07:19 PM
1st Gear

Thanks guys, any other opinions around?

Old 07-17-2006, 11:16 PM
2nd Gear

brakes!

Old 07-17-2006, 11:41 PM

ok on ur misfiring. that happened bc when u jumped the car it flooded fouling the plugs causing a misfire. it burnt the gas off thats y it quit flashing. buy a new set of coils from ecstuning these are a thing that will need to be replaced anyways most likely. get a set of ngk bkr6e ix plugs since you arent chipped. they will last longer. on your brakes maybe the abs is going out. no clue on the tranny though bc id never own a auto when there is a manual option lol good luck

Old 07-18-2006, 12:34 AM
2nd Gear

Anything related to the Tip tranny gets expensive in a hurry. I'd take it back and ask what they did to it and tell them it's not working. I dunno if you want to tell them you took the thing apart, because you taking it apart pretty much negates any of their liability..."you broke it, we aren't paying for it."

+1 on getting a real Vagcom and swapping the coilpacks

You said you're not throwing any codes related to the braking system, the ABS specifically, right? Have you taken the wheel off the side in question and inspected the pads/caliper/rotor? Could be something wrong with the strucutral integrity of the pad if you're lucky. If you're not so lucky, it could be the piston that pushes the pad onto the rotor isn't functioning properly...maybe your master brake cylinder got screwed up by someone pushing on the brake pedal too hard while they were bleeding brake fluid? I dunno, just a guess.

Good luck dude

Old 07-21-2006, 06:45 AM
1st Gear

Hi, today the code were taken, and cleared... the car worked great (from the missfyring) but after a few miles, the miss fire started... the codes before they were cleared are:

thanks!

Old 07-21-2006, 09:48 AM
4th Gear

P1602
Voltage supply, terminal 30Voltage too low
- Check voltage supply for control module

Request for warning lamp on active1)
- Exhaust related malfunction of Transmission Control Module (TCM)
- Check DTC memory of Transmission Control Module (TCM)
P0300
Combustion misfire detected
- Check fuel pressure Page 24-33
- Check fuel injectors Page 24-38

P0301
Cyl. 1 combustion misfire detected

P0302
Cyl. 2 combustion misfire detected

P0303
Cyl. 3 combustion misfire detected
- Check misfire recognition Page 28-51

P0304
Cyl. 4 combustion misfire detected
-

- Check spark plugs and ignition wires with connector
- Ignition coils with power output stages Checking Page 28-4
- Check misfire recognition Page 28-51

Throttle valve control Malfunction
- Check throttle valve control module

First off, I'd check the wiring at the ECU and at the throttle body and make sure everything is clean and tight. I'll try to look up more later

Quick Reply: My first A4 list of problems, i need an expert advice (pictures)