Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my brake pad have a chunk chipped out? (and a suspension problem)

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 09:15 PM
DZA
1st Gear
Default Is my brake pad have a chunk chipped out? (and a suspension problem)

(edited with more on my suspension issue)

I have my wheel off today (first time since owning this car)

Look at this picture and tell me if my brake pad looks chipped (the top of the pad closest to the disc). There IS a gap there, not sure if its "normal". If its a problem, could it at all cost a clunking noise when I hit a bump, while turning in the direction of that wheel? Or are there any other concerns?

The main problem is that I am getting a very loud clunk noise in the suspension at the front right somewhere but only when turning right and accelarating hard. It also only happens when I'm turning over a bumpy road or if the road is slick.

(sorry about the picture, the "add image" isn't working i guess)
http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/3063/hpim2155hs6.jpg

Old 03-19-2007, 09:19 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Is my brake pad have a chunk chipped out?

I dont see a picture... But i will say that a clunking noise over a bump is most likely a tie rod end problem.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:27 PM
2nd Gear

your pad may be notched, in the middle, all the way thru, or have a countour on the side, that would be normal. like he said if you post a pic, i would be able to tell you for sure. clunking, can be a # of things, strut mount, tie rod, balljoint bunch of suspensiuon ****, did you pull on the wheel to see if anything is loose? look over your suspension parts, while you have it on the hoist

pardon my spelling, im still feeling hung over from sat! lol

Old 03-19-2007, 10:04 PM
DZA
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: zrwhat

your pad may be notched, in the middle, all the way thru, or have a countour on the side, that would be normal. like he said if you post a pic, i would be able to tell you for sure. clunking, can be a # of things, strut mount, tie rod, balljoint bunch of suspensiuon ****, did you pull on the wheel to see if anything is loose? look over your suspension parts, while you have it on the hoist

pardon my spelling, im still feeling hung over from sat! lol
Its not notched like you're talking about.

I'm leaning more toward tie rod b/c there is some play when I wiggle on the wheel. Compared to the rear that obviously doesn't move or even flex, the front has some play in it when I wiggle them as if I was steering.

I can't tell if its play or its just flexing something. I know its not supposed to move at all but is there anything that can flex if the tie rods are brand new?

Old 03-19-2007, 10:08 PM
Site Moderator

nothing should "flex"
a good way to check is to jack up the car, remove the wheel and grab the brake rotor and wiggle it. Watch the Tie rod end ball joint for any flexing/movement. It should be solid. Also if you have trouble keeping the car driving in a straight line, like if the driveline wanders to the right AND left, that is a sign of a bad tie rod end. This would be different than if the car pulls to one direction only like if you have low pressure in a front tire or the alignment is off.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:20 PM
DZA
1st Gear

I'll take the wheel back off tomorrow and try that. I think there is play. I said it is more of a flex b/c its not like I can move it with my finger. I really have to get on it to move it at all. I'm not grabbing by the tire either so its not the tire moving around. I'm holdin to a spoke or two.