Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MTM or APR ECU chips

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 03:07 AM
1st Gear
Default MTM or APR ECU chips

HI, everyone

I have a 2000 A4 1.8T Quattro Tiptronic.
I want to get a chip for it, i dont know with which chip to go with? APR or MTM. I spoke with APR and they said if in the future i want to get a turbo upgrade or anything else, their chip wont work unless it's APR parts. also can i take my ecu out myself and put the new one that has been chip right back? Would i have to do anything else after i put it back? of what i hear MTM is pretty good. if anyone has any opinion I will appreciate it.

Old 03-13-2005, 04:54 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: MTM or APR ECU chips

First of all, no matter who's upgraded turbo you install, the chip will not work. You will need a new chip for the KO4 turbo kit. So don't let that sales tactic throw you.
Yes you can do the R&R yourself. There are tech articles that explain, but it's really very easy.
You need to do a throtle body alignment after you reinstall the upgraded ecu. Its a very simple process, too. You can use a VAG-COM or do it the old fashioned way which is to turn the ignition power on (don't turn on the engine), wait for 2 minutes while the power is on, DON'T OPERATE ANYTHING WHILE YOU WAIT TWO MINUTES - KEEP THE RADIO OFF, KEEP IT IN NEUTRAL, KEEP THE DOOR CLOSED, then turn off the power, then start the car and drive it as you would. The throttle body will be aligned and you will have a chipped ecu!!

Old 03-13-2005, 03:25 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the Info on how to do the chip upgrade. also of my understanding my car is 150 hp stock...i called APR and they said with the chip it will bring up to 203hp....then i called Joe Hopen Motorsport and they said with the chip it will bring me up to 185hp and if i put the mtm exaust it will bring me up to 210. I know apr sounds like more HP, does anybody thinks thats right... i also found this link in which i didn't feel apr was good for me.

http://www.europeanspeed.com/shootout.htm if any body has any opinion please let me know. also they told me that not to put a blow off valve, they said to use a recirc valve. any advise on what else should i do after i put on the chip.

Old 03-13-2005, 04:08 PM
4th Gear

Id go mtm, ive had apr wasnt really impressed.

Old 03-13-2005, 07:04 PM
3rd Gear

I haven't had my MTM-chipped car for very long, but the previous owner installed the MTM chip and exhaust system right after buying the car and drove it for 90,000 miles without a hitch. It pulls well and sounds great, but is much more expensive than the APR, especially if you buy the exhaust system. Some other people on this forum with more experience than I do have GIAC chips and like them, too.