Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

missfires under medium/heavy acceleration?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 11:56 PM
1st Gear
Default missfires under medium/heavy acceleration?

ok so it was slightly missfiring couple of days ago, it would come in and go away while accelerating.

i just changed my plugs today to bosch plat +2, now it's misfiring more under medium/hard acceleration.

it's fine if i lightly accelerate even till redline.

cel kept flashing tho. i checked the code, it says misfire on cyl 4, do yall think it's the coil, or wire r injector or maybe just a bad plug? or what else could it be?

BTW it's a 98 2.8 30v QM

thankx

Old 01-31-2006, 12:21 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: missfires under medium/heavy acceleration?

I had the same exact problem, and i couldent figure it out.

yea, its the coils, appearantly there prone to failing...

Old 01-31-2006, 12:25 AM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: luvin_the_rings

I had the same exact problem, and i couldent figure it out.

yea, its the coils, appearantly there prone to failing...
Its a 2.8, are they notorious for the coil pack problem? Probably is the coil pack though.

Old 01-31-2006, 12:35 AM
2nd Gear

thats my best guess, i think there's a way to test the coil itself in the vag-com.

yea, they use the same coils in the 2.8 as in the 1.8...

just swap cyl. 4, there like 80 buks a piece.. so one at a time is better..

Old 01-31-2006, 01:01 AM
1st Gear

crapppp. lol. bought the car on the 25'th, started driving on the 26'th and already got 2 messed up windows, a messed up coil and not sure what else thats gonna come up. lol less than a week. lol

thankx yall, i'll try and get a coil tommorw.

Old 01-31-2006, 01:23 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: luvin_the_rings

thats my best guess, i think there's a way to test the coil itself in the vag-com.

yea, they use the same coils in the 2.8 as in the 1.8...

just swap cyl. 4, there like 80 buks a piece.. so one at a time is better..

hey, is it 80 bcks each at the dealer? autozone is like 250 and ebay is like 125. but thats the whole thing. thankx man

Old 01-31-2006, 08:35 AM
4th Gear

Umm, do some searching. If you are going to own a car, check around for your prices. We've even made it easy for you by giving you links at the top of the forum.

Clear the code, and swap the coil pack to another cyl. If the misfire follows the coil pack that is obviously the problem. If it stays in cyl 4, it is either the spark plug, ignition module, or injector.

Old 01-31-2006, 03:49 PM
2nd Gear

I'm almost positive that I read in the bentley how to test coilpacks with a voltmeter. Might be a good idea before dropping lots of cash. Oh, and welcome to the world of Audis.

Old 01-31-2006, 04:01 PM
1st Gear

hey, thankx alot yall, yea i was lookin thru some of the links, found some cheaper prices. but sitll lokking for someone selling them individually. but i'm about to swap them around and drive the car and see if it miss fires like david said. thankx man

Old 01-31-2006, 06:14 PM
4th Gear

OK, this is easy trouble shooting here.

Swap the coil pack with a different cylinder. If the misfire moves to the new cylinder, then it is the coilpack.

How can you tell? Unplug the wire going to the coilpack while the car is running. and if there is no change, than that particular cylinder is not firing. If there is a noticable drop in idle, then the cylinder was firing and the coil pack is good.

ECStuning .com has them for about $20 apiece.

If it is not the coilpack, i.e. the misfire stays in the same cylinder, then you are most likely looking at a bad fuel injector. Another test is to pull the spark plug on the misfiring cylinder, and see if it seems wet with gas or not. If it is wet or smeels like gas, then the injector is probably good. Otherwise, if the misfire did not follow the coilpack, and the plug seems dry, you probably need a fuel injector.

Good luck, I hope this helps your troublshooting.

There is also an ignition control module that can cause a misfire, but if that was it, it would probably misfire all the time, not just under harder acceleration.

Quick Reply: missfires under medium/heavy acceleration?