Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Misfiring and Running Rich

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 06:21 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Misfiring and Running Rich

yeah...what else should i post? I thought that 2001+ models dont have an ICM b/c its all ecu controlled. Do MAF readings look ok b/c sometimes i notice that the misfires start once my air intake drops a lot...one of the logs i did had the air mass in at about 170 g/s at xxxx rpms but 1000 rpmshigher it went down to 50 g/s and thats when the misfires started.

Old 12-20-2006, 06:31 PM
1st Gear

What is wierd is you are not misfireing when your in boost is seems like it is acting up when you are deccelerating. Your MAF readings maybe look low I dont have a T28 Yet but I know A K04 Flows that much air (190G/s) . I would think a T28 flows a lot more than a K04. do you have any logs that have a higher rate of time stamp? looks like you are only take a reading every other second. also do you have a log of your A/F ratio?

Old 12-20-2006, 06:41 PM
1st Gear

...I bought the damn USB vag-com and it keeps losing the connection sometimes in the middle of a log so im going to go get a new reading in a little bit...anything else i should log while im at it

Old 12-20-2006, 06:48 PM
1st Gear

Boost, A/F ratio, Timing correction, MAF reading.

Log one group at a time (so you have a better time stamp)and do them in third gear like you are do a caps time

Old 12-21-2006, 12:20 AM
1st Gear

i was only able to log in second gear...and since the vag keeps coming loose i had to log at the same time...also i got a new maf but the connector on top is a rectangle and the one on my car now is round and one side like this ( ]...what to do? ....im probably going to replace the maf, injectors, and fuel pressure regulator...if that doesnt solve anything it would be time to drop it off at the shop...

http://www.iit.edu/~hpatel89/boost.xls
http://www.iit.edu/~hpatel89/timingcorrection.xls
http://www.iit.edu/~hpatel89/afratio.xls
http://www.iit.edu/~hpatel89/misfires.xls

Old 12-21-2006, 12:55 AM
2nd Gear

Your maf sensor can make you run rich but not the injectors unless they stick open but thats not the case or your exhaust valves and cat. would be melted, and the fuel pressure reg. won't make you run rich. You could be running rich/misfiring because of not enough spark or you could not be getting enough spark/misfireing due to running rich. Are you sure you haven't exeeded the limitations of the ignition system? I'm not sure what a t28 puts out but you say it bog down at high rpm whitch would make me think your not creating the boost the tuning needs or you don't have enough spark. Don't just start throwing parts at it.

Maybe it has something to do with your wing.

Old 12-21-2006, 01:04 AM
1st Gear

im pretty sure i have enough spark now since i just replaced the plugs yesterday...as for the throwing parts...i know someone that works for bosch and he said he can probably be able to get me some parts free or very cheap so i figured what the hell, y not.....dont hate on the wing man...it adds 50 hp.....to the wheels......

Old 12-21-2006, 02:19 AM
2nd Gear

LOL All right. I have a friend with a lightning and he had the same sort of problem. At high rpm it would bog down, spit flames out of the exhaust, and misfire, when the rpm went down it stopped. He ran out of spark because the ignition system couldn't keep up and couldn't support the amount of horsepower he was making, and he would constantly be changing plugs and never fixing the problem, upgrading the ignition system. All I was saying is are you misfiring because your running rich or are you running rich because you are misfiring? If it was my car I would pull out the MAF sensor and see if it look dirty and clean it.

Old 12-21-2006, 02:41 AM
1st Gear

What are your specs of the kit? what injectors? I do not think your MAF is dead It might be going out but is not that bad. I would bet on a boost leak for the rich condition. do you have a boost guage? what does it read at WOT, at Idle? at what psi does it hold boost?

Old 12-21-2006, 03:05 PM
1st Gear

RC Engineering 440cc injectors...i emailed pes and they said the kit was tuned at 20 psi..when it was warmer out i would boost a full 20 psi but right now its down to 19 at wot and it only tapers about 1 psi...at idle its at about 18 Hg... the maf i have in right now is a vw 2.0 maf...should i change the maf harness in my car back to stock and try the oem sensor thats sitting in my garage?

Quick Reply: Misfiring and Running Rich