Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mirror replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 10:32 AM
1st Gear
Default Mirror replacement

Can anyone tell me the steps to replacing the power side view mirrors?

Old 10-07-2005, 03:08 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: Mirror replacement

You talking the glass, or the whole thing?

Old 10-07-2005, 03:18 PM
1st Gear

our mirros are heated right?
i think someone hit mine, it dosent move left and right.. so how do i take off the mirror itself to see if i can get it back on or something

Old 10-07-2005, 03:37 PM
5th Gear

Getting the mirror glass out calls for a special tool, according to the bentley manual... I used like a butter knife. lol

I put a piece of cardboard against the inside of the mirror, at the bottom... then slide the knife under the mirror glass (and above the cardboard) and then pried the glass out from the bottom, the cardboard was protecting the mirror housing.

Once it was nearly out, I switched to the top, corner, and pried it out the rest of the way. Just use something WIDE to pry with. It has to be thin... the butter knife seemed to work well, but I'd have been more comfortable with something else. A paint scraper maybe. Something wider, so as to minimize your chances of doing damage.

Does your mirror glass have the black plastic trim around it?

Old 10-07-2005, 03:58 PM
1st Gear

heres a video i just took of my retarted mirror.. http://s59.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1...Y1746NDSB02S66

Old 10-07-2005, 04:03 PM
5th Gear

haha, the video was rather effective.

Well you dont have the 'anti dazzle' mirror, so breaking it is less likely (its the plastic trim that you'd break) so pop that mirror out and see what's up! Does the motor not work anymore?

Old 10-07-2005, 04:05 PM
1st Gear

naw i heard it trying to move it left and right.. if i move the mirror all the way left and then use the switch to move it right it will.. but not the other way.. it still goes up and down.

also wats a anti dazzle mirror.. when i use my car in the morning like its weird my right mirror stays foggy and my left was foggy and the fog goes away and the fog on the left mirror stays there

Old 10-07-2005, 04:09 PM
5th Gear

Hmm, who knows. I never paid attention to what was behind it... but theres some wierd stuff.

I just replaced the glass... 5 minute job.

Word to the wise though, when the mirror glass is free, you have to undo a couple wires... I had 2 plugs on the outside of the mirror, which are side by side, I labelled the plugs O and I for outside and inside... didnt want to mix them up (they were identical). The other plug, for the heat I'm guessing... is on the inside of the mirror (like towards the car)

If you dont want to break that thing... note that the two halfs of the plug plugged into each other, and then clipped against the mirror itself. Release the plugs from the mirror first, and THEN unplug it.

Old 10-07-2005, 04:14 PM
1st Gear

thank god u said that.. im always bound to break something, im not much of a DIY person [:-] thanks a lot for all the help

Old 10-07-2005, 04:56 PM
5th Gear

haha goodluck, lets hope its nothing too bad.

Quick Reply: Mirror replacement