Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mintex (Boge) Brake Pads [Are they good enough]

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 08:58 PM
mra
1st Gear
Default Mintex (Boge) Brake Pads [Are they good enough]

I recently bought an 02 A4 Quattro and whenever I break I hear a very high pitched squeak. Now this is not some quite, minor, unnoticeable squeak. The rotors are fine and are almost brand new. I'm not sure what kind of brake pads the previous owner bought, but I wanted to know if this issue would be resolved if I replace them with Mintex (Boge) brake pads. I will be buying the pads from: http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=1fb4azago5x3l5nmz5u5ck55&make id=800002@Audi&modelid=1379628@A4%20QUATTRO%20 %20%20%20%20(8E%20type)&year=2002&cid=14@B rake%20%26%20Wheel%20Hub&gid=1684@Brake%20Pad% 20Set

I understand that some brake pads tend to squeak because of the compound that is used in them, so I'm wondering if anyone else has used Mintex (Boge) break pads, also how much is a fair price to get these pads installed?

Thank you in advance

Old 10-18-2007, 10:31 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: Mintex (Boge) Brake Pads [Are they good enough]

well try some brake cleaner first. spray the crap outa ur brakes. and then see if it still does it. mine does the same thing and i jsut turn up the music because i kno my pads and rotors are good lol. well a shop will probably charge u at least an hour for labor so it's however much it is in ur area. but the process is so simple i think u should take a day and do it yourself and learn sumthing new.

Old 10-19-2007, 01:14 PM
mra
1st Gear

Alright, I'll give that a shot, do you recommend a specific brake cleaner? Or should I get whatever I can get my hands on. I'll look into changing it myself also, even though I don't know the first thing about.

Old 10-19-2007, 01:45 PM
1st Gear

its a simple job, tkaes just 10 minutes to take a caliper off. get yourself a service manual from autozone! theres the bently manual, full of detail, but if you dont want to pay $100 go for the haynes manual for $25. they'll both tell you how to get the calipers off.
just get autozones own brand of brake cleaner, all brake cleaner is the same crap.
if they squeal realy loud, and i mean realy loud then they might be track pads, so dont throw them away, their exspensive.
i currently have mintex redbox pads on the front. even though their not performance pads their much better then oem pads. i dont get any noise from them and they wont lock up to the disc unlike my rear oem pads.
also, just a thought, while your calipers are off i would paint them aswell, if you like that sort of thing. get the caliper paintkit from autozone for $16.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:11 PM
mra
1st Gear

Now that I've been paying more attention, the squealing sound is coming from the front right side of the car only. I tried the brake cleaner also but it didn't work. I heard there is a anti squeal gel that can be applied to the pads, has anyone tried these? My brake pads are not old at all so I would like to fix them rather than replacing them.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:13 PM
5th Gear

u can try it but i doubt it'll do anything long term. it'll def help for a short while though

Old 10-22-2007, 04:24 PM

Mintex are good for the $...don't waste your time spraying w brake cleaner unless you have a ton of pad left...how many miles are on the current pads?...pad life is determined by three things the driver, softness of pad and type of rotor.

if you have audi pads, stock rotors and you brake lightly your pads can last to 30 someodd thousand miles...if you have el cheapo pads (which are usually super soft and spongy), stock rotors and you are braking hard your pads won't make it past 5k....

I would say buy a new set of front pars and rerplace them, there's a DIY on audidiy.com....even if you are not very mechanically incleined, as long as you can get your wheels off, you will be fine...just follow the DIY...

the front pads should cost somewhere around 50-60$ and mintex will easily last 15-25k....well, gl!

Old 10-22-2007, 06:09 PM
4th Gear

A little silicone on the back of the pads should fix it. I didn't need it on mine with mintex red box.

Its possible one of the pads is defective. Pull the pads out, inspect them for damage. If they look fine, and pretty new still, go ahead and put a little silicone (brake anti-squeak - same thing) on the back of the pad where it makes contact, it wont hurt anything and should stop the noise.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:21 PM
mra
1st Gear

So I tried theanti-squeak thing and it didn't help either, I'm leaning towards just getting stock front pads. Dealer said a front set is $114, which sounds rediculous, any other places I can buy stock front pads from? I thought Mintex was the brand that actually supplied Audi with the pads, making those pads stock, is this untrue?

Edit: So I gave the place that I was going to buy the Pads from (Autohausaz) and they said that ATE, Brembo and Pagid are the companies that Audi uses for their pads. So now I'm wondering if I should get the Mintex pads, Pagid or just go to the dealer and shell out the $114.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:16 PM
4th Gear

The mintex pads cost me around 50 or so.( May be more with sensors)
They are a good pad, a little better than stock pads.

No way Id pay $114 from a dealer. For that $$$ you can get some really good high performance ceramic pads.

Quick Reply: Mintex (Boge) Brake Pads [Are they good enough]