Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Minor Problems W/ 98 A4... Could you help??

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 12:54 AM
1st Gear
Default Minor Problems W/ 98 A4... Could you help??

Hello everyone,

I'm definitely new to the whole Audi scence. I just purchased a 98 A4 1.8T. It has 108K miles. It has a K&N intake and Magna exhaust (muffler back i think), and a blowoff valve but is otherwise stock. I'm familiar with the timing belt problems and all that stuff but I have a few specific questions and would appreciate it if someone could help me out. First of all, my Airbag light won't turn off. The previous owner said this would happen if the passenger seat was leaned all the way back because a wire would come loose. But the seat was not leaned back. Is this a common problem or specific to my car? Also, a creek just started in the steering, but only when the wheel is turned to the left. Im almost positive this is only my car but I just want to make sure. Any other helpful tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!!

-Matt

Old 11-08-2005, 01:13 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Minor Problems W/ 98 A4... Could you help??

first get rod of the blow off valve and get a diverter valve. the creeking noise could be your control arms. and the air bag light can be cleared by a vag com tool but the light will continue to come on if it isnt fixed.

Old 11-08-2005, 01:35 AM
1st Gear

i was thinking of putting a GFB blow-off valve on mine

heres a video explaining it

http://www.ndimports.com/00_global/0...gfb_c3cars.wmv

it seems to be the best of both worlds

Old 11-08-2005, 08:57 PM
1st Gear

Wat is the difference between a blow off valve and a diverter valve? My car is automatic, if that helps at all... because until I bought it, I had never seen a blow off on an automatic. Im pretty sure the control arms were just replaced recently so im not sure if thats the solution... i might have to go to the shop for that. Also, what is a vag tool and how do I use it? Thanks a lot sandman.

That GFB blowoff seems cool, but it seemed to be all about the sound. The stop turbo does not get you that fast and furious woosh like you hear on tuners, just a little puff if you let off after acceleration and a smaller puff if you rev it in nuetral... just so you won't be dissapointed Session.

Old 11-08-2005, 09:08 PM

blow off valves release the air into the atmosphere and diverter valves recurculate it back into the system blow off valve will cause your car to run rich as for the creak it most likley is a control arm as there are 4 on each side common problem

as for the airbag light yes this light will stay on until you get the problem fixed

Old 11-08-2005, 09:28 PM
1st Gear

ohh ok, do you have any suggestions as to where to get a good diverter valve? Will this diverter valve increase boost at all or does it have any advantages or disadvantages? Can the control arms be tightened or do they have to be replaced? I know the light will stay on until the problem is fixed, but how do I fix the problem? lol Thanks!

-Matt

Old 11-08-2005, 09:34 PM

it does not increase boost if you are stock you will be fine with a stock on if you are chipped or plan on getting chipped get the one from the TT or get a forge 007 DV

the control arms will just have to be replaced

to fix the problem you will have to get the car vag'd to see what is causing the light to come on

Old 11-08-2005, 09:48 PM

air bag light, first you need to diagnose a fault with the correct diagnostic tool vag.com cable and software you will get the fault code then you can start fixing it, you mention the seat?? I'm thinking the pretensioner wire under the seat might have come off, a common problem when removing the seat and cleaning under it "pull the wire off and the lights goes on" then you need the diagnostics to turn it off[sm=type.gif]

Old 11-08-2005, 11:37 PM
1st Gear

yea, Im pretty sure your right, Avant. Now all I need to do is find that wire in the mess of wires under the seat right now for the heat and what not. So I dont think I'll need that software beause im almost positive that it is in fact the pretensioner wire under the seat. Will the airbags work at all if that light is on??

Old 11-08-2005, 11:50 PM
2nd Gear

yeah i have a 98 2.8 and my air bag light is on to but i brought it to the dealer and they said that if it isnt flashing dont worry about it, unless it bothers you that bad but its probably not worth the hassle unless yo uwant to sell your car

Quick Reply: Minor Problems W/ 98 A4... Could you help??