Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mileage Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 01:14 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Mileage Question

Just have the car inspected by an Audi mechanic before you buy the car, i think they will charge about $100, but it could save your *** in the long run. Make sure the timing belt has been replaces, control arms, water pump, e.t.c.

Old 12-19-2005, 03:42 AM

Didn't you say you were from the Pittsburgh area. I am as well.. Have you looked in the Sewickley/Moon area for any Audis?

Old 12-19-2005, 04:26 PM
1st Gear

Yes, I am from Pittsburgh (I live in Wexford, right off of 79). I have been looking in Sewickley/Moon, I go down to Sewickley for my back treatments, and I have found a few cars there with lower miles, however the price of them is always up in the 8-12k section, which is way overbudget. So basically, I haven't found anything worthwhile.

Old 12-19-2005, 04:43 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: crusininda944

*sighs*

Okay, I know this thread was started a LONG time ago, but it seems that I'm in a precdicament again...

I finally did end up getting a car (sorry I didn't give you all an update), and it sadly did end up being a Mustang...(V6)...yeah...

So, as some of you probably have already figured out, a crash was inevitable in the city of Erie, PA, where it snows in the winter time as much as the sun shines in Florida.

So now, I am carless, and it's time to do some shopping again. Of course, as I said previously I am looking into AUDIS, because of their Quattro AWD system. Again, my parents and I got into a debate (which turned heated) about Audi's and the "high-miles" of the cars within my price range (which has now dropped down to $5,500. I have found a car (this time in my own state) within my price range, but the miles (naturally) are a bit high (over my dad's specifications of mid-70k).

My parents pulled the "18-year old card" (You're 18, you're an adult, so you make an adult descision. I really do want this car, but I don't feel like havinig something happen and then having something happen and me look like a moron.

Here are some details on the car:

1996 Audi A4
2.8-liter V-6
Quattro AWD
5-Speed Manual Transmission
135,000 Miles
$4,900

My main question is would this car be able to last me through 4 years of college driving? Also, would there be any repairs that would be coming up soon on this car, since it has hit 135k miles?

Thanks

If it has been, and will be properly maintained, it should last you a lot longer than 4 years... Get it..
If you dont know what maintinence has been done, you never know what could go wrong at that mileage

Old 12-19-2005, 04:45 PM

96 A4 $6995
It says good miles. Might be worth giving them a call, its in Monroeville

98 A4 $6000
Doesn't say miles again, and up by Youngstown Oh, but if its a good deal, worth the drive.

Old 12-19-2005, 04:50 PM
1st Gear

The Silver A4 has 111k miles on it (hardly low), and the green A4 has a problem with it.

I've been hi and low on autotrader and cars.com. Ideally, my dad wants me to find a car with 70k miles on it (my mustang had 74) and under 6k (preferrably 5k). It's going to be extremely hard for me to find an audi like that, and the thing is, i have, but i don't want to push this on him, and then have something break, you know?

I'm trying to cover every base possible in order to cover my own ***.

Old 12-19-2005, 04:54 PM

The Silver A4 has 111k miles on it (hardly low), and the green A4 has a problem with it.

I've been hi and low on autotrader and cars.com. Ideally, my dad wants me to find a car with 70k miles on it (my mustang had 74) and under 6k (preferrably 5k). It's going to be extremely hard for me to find an audi like that, and the thing is, i have, but i don't want to push this on him, and then have something break, you know?

I'm trying to cover every base possible in order to cover my own ***.

111k no wonder they didn;t post how many. 5k for an audi under 70k is extremely hard to find. You're going to need to find some private owner that really wants to get rid of his car or something like that

Old 12-19-2005, 04:58 PM

What about http://www.thetransportationstation.com/ You can request a car from them and maybe they can find one in auction or something.. I never really dealt with them, but it's worth a shot.

You just gotta make sure they dont mark up the price of the car too high after finding it if they found it in an auction

Old 12-19-2005, 05:00 PM
1st Gear

And then, to add a little spice to things - I'm going to Mercyhurst College, which is located in Erie, Pennsylvania. About as far North as you can get. I'll be using my car to commute from Pittsburgh to Erie, and in the Winter time, I really don't feel like dying due to the snow, so I'm also trying to look for something AWD.
Erie is a hell hole...I grew up a few blocks from Mercyhurst. The plow drivers suck, go with an AWD (audi) option.

Old 12-19-2005, 05:15 PM
1st Gear

Erie is a hell hole - agreed. I almost wrecked my mustang on the way to FAMILY VIDEO on 38th street because the damn streets aren't plowed...My parents don't believe me when I say how bad the winters are there...They think i'm exaggerating. This again is why I'm looking for the Quattro AWD system - I don't feel like crashing cars every year...

ORIGINAL: S_R_N83
111k no wonder they didn;t post how many. 5k for an audi under 70k is extremely hard to find. You're going to need to find some private owner that really wants to get rid of his car or something like that
Yeah, that's what i figured.

As if that wasn't bad enough though, my parents think I want an audi just for the four little circles on the grille (just for the audi name). In a conversation the other day, my parents basically told me i'm an impulsive little **** who sees something shiny and pretty and wants it now...which is hardly who i am. I'm just trying to be safe...I live in freaking ERIE most of the year and all it does is SNOW, so wouldn't it make SENSE to purchase a car that is capable in the snowy months? ugh.

In response to an earlier post, I don't think I'm going to be able to get an Audi mechanic to look at the car (it's about 3 hours away, and setting up a meeting between the three different parties would be difficult, plus, I highly doubt that my parents are going to be keen on more extraneous fees (even though they are semi-necessary)).

What things should I ask the guy on the phone, and then eventually look for on the car when I'm testing it out?

Quick Reply: Mileage Question