Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mileage Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 08:41 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Mileage Question

Yeah, I really don't want the Mustangs, but they're really the only thing I've been able to find. A 'Stang should be a V8, I agree, but if worse comes to worse, I'm not going to say no to a Mustang just because it's a V6.

And yeah, I've driven RWD in the snow, it's a royal bitch. haha, but I can cross that bridge if/when I get to it.

I called the insurance company, and all of the cars are almost equal in insurance. The Mustangs are a BIT higher than the others, but that's to be expected.

I haven't really had a chance to talk to him in-depth today, as he had to go to work, but it seemed that he was also a bit disgruntled about the fact that the car is in Michigan, which is roughly 4 hours away...

I'll try the AWD sales pitch tonight when he gets home.

Old 07-12-2005, 11:26 PM

I would say go with ur gut on this one. I had a mustnag an dcrashed it. RWD and being youngt is not good especially if u live with snow. I dont so cant say anything much but RWD in a mustang in teh snow sounds bad. I do know of alot ot milegae ppl have on hear with teh 2.8s. Alot of them are over 150,000 mi. Do a search on whats teh meilage of your car and see hwta there is. Quattro on A4s is amzing and i love especially in the rain compared to rain with RWD and a V8. If u have any otehr questions abput it be sure to ask on here or u could PM me. BUt rember the cost of repairs for the car. They are pricey. And if the timing belt isnt changed do it as soon as u get the car. If it breaks its liek 3 grand to fix it all.

Old 07-18-2005, 02:45 PM

My 1995 A4 2.6 Quattro has 206700mls, hardly uses any oil between 4000ml oil & filter changes,runs smoothly & quietly, both Catalytic converters made rattling noises & replaced, R/H @ 196000 & L/H @ 199000 mls

Old 07-18-2005, 03:27 PM
3rd Gear

the 96 a4 was only a 12 valve i think u deff dont want that from what i hear

Old 12-18-2005, 01:36 AM
1st Gear

*sighs*

Okay, I know this thread was started a LONG time ago, but it seems that I'm in a precdicament again...

I finally did end up getting a car (sorry I didn't give you all an update), and it sadly did end up being a Mustang...(V6)...yeah...

So, as some of you probably have already figured out, a crash was inevitable in the city of Erie, PA, where it snows in the winter time as much as the sun shines in Florida.

So now, I am carless, and it's time to do some shopping again. Of course, as I said previously I am looking into AUDIS, because of their Quattro AWD system. Again, my parents and I got into a debate (which turned heated) about Audi's and the "high-miles" of the cars within my price range (which has now dropped down to $5,500. I have found a car (this time in my own state) within my price range, but the miles (naturally) are a bit high (over my dad's specifications of mid-70k).

My parents pulled the "18-year old card" (You're 18, you're an adult, so you make an adult descision. I really do want this car, but I don't feel like havinig something happen and then having something happen and me look like a moron.

Here are some details on the car:

1996 Audi A4
2.8-liter V-6
Quattro AWD
5-Speed Manual Transmission
135,000 Miles
$4,900

My main question is would this car be able to last me through 4 years of college driving? Also, would there be any repairs that would be coming up soon on this car, since it has hit 135k miles?

Thanks

Old 12-18-2005, 01:40 AM
2nd Gear

Far as modding goes id rather have a 2.8 30v than a 1.8t any day. PES tuning has an amazing supercharger kit that will simple own a 1.8t with proper tuning.

Old 12-18-2005, 02:53 AM
1st Gear

Well, in regards to the making an "adult decision" remark, AWD is the adult decision. I mean, when my parents and I were looking into what car we would purchase, I used the AWD aspect as the reason for purchasing (knowing very well that I just wanted an Audi, but not for the safety aspect of it). Then the snow came while we were still shopping, and I was driving around in my old Accord, and I realized that I actually do need AWD. It's fun in the summer, and you aren't white-knuckle-driving when the snow comes.

However, when we got the car, we took it to a garage immediately to get everything working tip top, and it cost $2500. Clutch, flywheel, foglights, a differential gasket, and a few other things. I guess just keep these 2 points in your head when making your decision.

Old 12-18-2005, 03:36 AM
1st Gear

138,000 and still running strong!
i'm pretty hooked on the quattro.

the repairs do get very expensive though...(about 3X's the price of a "japanese" car)

Old 12-18-2005, 06:11 AM
1st Gear

HEy man i was in the same boat as you last year same price range but looking for sumthin nice and safe. I found a 97 a4 2.8 with a 150k on it and it was the best thing ive spent money on. The engine now has 170k on it and she runs amazing still im jsut careful with the oil and make sure to run her every day even if im not guanna be driving. IM also a 19 year old college freshamn going between boston and tampa and the cars a dream esp o nthe highway. If the audi your looking at is running strong with no blatient oil burn off or odor from the exhaust im betting it will be a good investment for u. All ive had to do in terms of major maitenence for the car was the timming but other than that i baby her. So if i were you i wouldnt stress aboutt eh mileage too much youll fall in love with the car. youll eventually forget how high that mileage is.

Old 12-18-2005, 10:28 AM
2nd Gear

MY 96 has 180k on it.

I just spent about a $1000 on it. 200 for control arms (I only did one upper side), 100 for the tie rod ends, 100 for the rear wheel bearing and ABS sensor (NAPA installed it wrong, damaged the hub and brand new bearing), so another 150 for another spindle/hub, 125 for a rear axle that I broke, 180 for new rear tires since I had some serious camber wear in the rear (I only got 10k miles out of my old ones), and a little undfer 100 for an alignment after I got the front end back together.

My flex cracked again, but that's almost free becuase I can weld myself, otherwise probably would be less than 100 to have welded back up.

I never had any engine/trans problems besides me breaking the rear CV. My front boots are sliced and I'll replace them soon. With 180k the engine runs great, trans shifts smoothly and the only thing pissing me off is the leaky exhaust right now. The struts are getting a little old but I quit my job and an=m broke now, so I'll wait to replace them...

Quick Reply: Mileage Question