Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mileage Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 02:18 AM
Default RE: Mileage Question

Yes, in order to tag it in PA., you will need to get it re-inspected

Old 07-12-2005, 02:23 AM
1st Gear

Ugh, damnit.

See, I personally don't think that the inspection will be so bad, because if it's being sold at a reputable dealer and appears in excellent condition (which it does), I don't see why there would be a problem. But my Dad (as well as my Mom) both think that once I go and get the car and buy it, and get it inspected in PA, something will end up having to be fixed. And apparently, the laws of Pennsylvania state that if a car doesn't pass inspection or needs stuff fixed afterwards, it has to be done so within a week?

Bleh.

Old 07-12-2005, 05:02 AM
2nd Gear

Just a question for you.... Whos paying for the car? If you parents are, then I guess their 2 cents mean alot. But if you are paying for it, get what you want. If it has been maintianed by the dealer and it has all or most of the service records so you can verify it, then 117,000 isnt that bad. Just stay on top of the routine stuff.

Old 07-12-2005, 06:42 AM
1st Gear

I'm the one paying for the car, but they aren't going to allow me to do anything that they don't approve of, if that makes sense.

In this situation, yes their two cents mean alot. And yes, I have alot of confidence in Audi as a car manufacturer, but I just don't want to hear the words "I told you so" coming out of their mouths anytime soon, you know?

Old 07-12-2005, 08:25 AM
2nd Gear

Yeah, I understand that. But it seems like you are looking in the $5000-7000 price range. You are not gonna be able to pick up a new car, so your parents will have no guarentee on ANY car you choose. They could tell you to car A instead of car B, and car A could last for 3 months before its motor blows. You never can tell with used cars. Its a gamble. Just out of curiosty, what kind of cars are your parents leaning towards? Do they have a certain car in mind? If they do, then you are gonna have a hard time changing their minds.

Old 07-12-2005, 09:57 AM
4th Gear

If this is your first car, frankly, I'd suggest basic transportation that you can afford to fix. Try a Honda or a Toyota. It isn't fun, it isn't fast, but it gets you from point A to B without emptying your wallet.

Old 07-12-2005, 12:37 PM

no rice man WTF are you thinking

[quote]ORIGINAL: crusininda944

ORIGINAL: sandnsnow24

visual aids like stickers and crazy colors add 20 horse power.... just so you know lol...... but ya 2.8 is a good engine it's what i have but not much to mod, i'm jk bout the looks stuff, but there's nothing worse than someone who spends 3K on the body and none under the hood to back it up.
Haha...I'm not talking about stickers. What I meant by visual stuff is like redoing the tails, new rims, window tint - stuff like that. I do plan on putting a few performance upgrades in eventually, but they're not really my first priority.

And no, I didn't own a civic - hahaha.

Old 07-12-2005, 01:14 PM
2nd Gear

I hate to say it, but if money or other factors (parents, wife, etc.) was a main focus of buying, then it would be hard to not look at rice. Audi's arent cheap, to buy or fix. Honda's and Toyota's are cheap, and will run almost forever if you take care of them. About 6 or 7 years ago, we needed another run around car, so we picked up a 85 Mazda 626 from my wifes mom. The car had 282,000 miles on it. Thats not a typo. After a year or two, we got another car and gave it back to her mom. She called us the other day and it FINALLY had enough, well north of 300,000 miles, the car died.

Old 07-12-2005, 02:56 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: bluovalguy

Yeah, I understand that. But it seems like you are looking in the $5000-7000 price range. You are not gonna be able to pick up a new car, so your parents will have no guarentee on ANY car you choose. They could tell you to car A instead of car B, and car A could last for 3 months before its motor blows. You never can tell with used cars. Its a gamble. Just out of curiosty, what kind of cars are your parents leaning towards? Do they have a certain car in mind? If they do, then you are gonna have a hard time changing their minds.
Yes, I am looking in a $5000-7000 price range. And yeah, you're exactly right...You never can be 100% sure with a used car, but I honestly think that his main problem with Audi's is the mileage factor - he pretty much doesn't trust the cars to their full potential, and I guess what I'm trying to do is substantiate the fact that there's really nothing wrong with them after they hit the 100k mark, and they aren't just going to completely fall apart once they hit 100,001 miles.

ORIGINAL: david9999

If this is your first car, frankly, I'd suggest basic transportation that you can afford to fix. Try a Honda or a Toyota. It isn't fun, it isn't fast, but it gets you from point A to B without emptying your wallet.
This isn't really my first car - it's my second. I originally had a 1998 Chrysler Concorde that was just about to reach 94k miles, but unfortunately was totalled. I really don't want rice - I'm somewhat of a serious driver, and ignoring the "looks" aspect of rice, I actually like to feel the car move when I mash the pedal to the floor.

Going back to what I was saying earlier; my parents don't have any particular car that they're leaning towards, however I do have a list of "requirements" or criteria for the car.

- I'd preferrably like a 5 Speed.
- Price should be within 4-8k, but no higher.
- Preferrably under 100k miles.
- Can't cost over 2000/year on insurance.
- Can't have a V8 engine.
- Can't be red.
- No SUV's/Trucks.

And then, to add a little spice to things - I'm going to Mercyhurst College, which is located in Erie, Pennsylvania. About as far North as you can get. I'll be using my car to commute from Pittsburgh to Erie, and in the Winter time, I really don't feel like dying due to the snow, so I'm also trying to look for something AWD.

So, as you can see that's kind of a tight list. And really, the reason I'm leaning towards Audi's is because of their AWD system. Plus the fact that they're good looking, peppy cars.

Right now, I have a list of cars that are in contention for purchasing:

- 1996 Blue Audi A4 Quattro
- 1999 Blue Ford Mustang
- 1996 Green Audi A4
- 1997 Ford Mustang
- 1998 Eagle Talon

I mean, that right there is like 4.5 months of searching the internet for cars...There's really nothing within that price (and mileage) range that I've found. I mean, looking at the Mustangs - sure, they're nice, but they're Musclecars and they're RWD, which will just create a whole 'nother situation during the winter time.

But yeah, that's my list. So, my mission in life right now is to convince my dad to want to buy the blue Audi A4.

- 1996 Audi A4 Quattro w/Audi Cold Weather Package
- $6,995
- 117,000 Miles
- Excellent Condition
- Brand New Brakes
- 4 Brand New Tires

So yeah, it's all about just getting the mileage superstition out of the way, and I should be golden.

Easier said than done..

Old 07-12-2005, 04:46 PM
2nd Gear

My humble opinion, dont get the mustang. I love em, but you said no V8. V6 mustang, whats the point. If you are commuting in winter, then your parents should be happy you are being "Responsible" and "Safety" minded looking for AWD. That right there should be your sales pitch to your dad. Besides, you ever driven RWD in the snow? Lots of fun, if you are not trying to go somewhere and just wanna see how far you can kick the a$$ around.

Quick Reply: Mileage Question