Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mileage Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 04:34 AM
1st Gear
Default Mileage Question

Hey,

I'm shoppin' around for Audi's, and one of the few I'm looking at is a 1998 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro.

I'm not really familiar with the reliability/durability of these cars, but the one I'm looking at has 145,000 miles on it and my dad is concerned that the miles are just too high for the car and it's not worth looking at.

They're asking $6,495 for it, which includes a brand new set of Bridgestone Potenza RE950 tires and brakes....Basically, the main concern is the miles. Anyone have any advice for this car?

Thanks in advance ~

Old 06-28-2005, 04:38 AM
Default RE: Mileage Question

well, the 2.8's are more reliable than the 1.8T's for sure, so thats a plus in your situation. however, if you plan to mod your car, you'll be VERY limited with a 2.8. 145k mi is high, but with the proper maintanence and care, you should be okay...someone on the forum is about to hit 200k mi.

Old 06-28-2005, 05:38 AM
1st Gear

Yeah, I read up on that...The 2.8's are more reliable but harder to mod - I only plan on doing visual upgrades though, nothing too deep in performance.

Old 06-28-2005, 07:15 AM
1st Gear

did you own a civic before? [sm=nxsmile.gif]

Old 06-28-2005, 07:18 AM
1st Gear

visual aids like stickers and crazy colors add 20 horse power.... just so you know lol...... but ya 2.8 is a good engine it's what i have but not much to mod, i'm jk bout the looks stuff, but there's nothing worse than someone who spends 3K on the body and none under the hood to back it up.

Old 06-28-2005, 12:24 PM

The 2.8 is a good engine. Ask if the timing belt has been done recently. If not, it may be due soon. Ask at what mileage it was changed last. The price seems a little high if it has not been done. You could use that as a bargaining tool. Costs around $900 or so to have it done at the dealer.

Old 06-28-2005, 03:13 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: sandnsnow24

visual aids like stickers and crazy colors add 20 horse power.... just so you know lol...... but ya 2.8 is a good engine it's what i have but not much to mod, i'm jk bout the looks stuff, but there's nothing worse than someone who spends 3K on the body and none under the hood to back it up.
Haha...I'm not talking about stickers. What I meant by visual stuff is like redoing the tails, new rims, window tint - stuff like that. I do plan on putting a few performance upgrades in eventually, but they're not really my first priority.

And no, I didn't own a civic - hahaha.

Thanks for the timing belt info. In the ad, it says the thing was regularly serviced, so I'll ask the guy what exactly he replaced, and when. As for the price, the blue book of the car is around 9000, which is what he was originally asking a few months ago when I had initially begun searching for cars, but now he's dropped down to 6495..But yeah, I could still get a few hundred nocked off what he's asking.

Old 07-11-2005, 11:53 PM
1st Gear

Okay - I've run into a few problems finding the car that fits me, but I seem to have found one.

1996 Audi A4 Quattro - Cobalt Blue Metallic with Oyster Leather with 117,000 miles.

They're asking 6,995 for it, which includes brand new brakes and 4 brand new Goodyear Tires.

I'm really fond of the car, but my Dad, once again has his reservations about the mileage. I'm not sure yet if the timing belt has been replaced, but I will be sure to ask about it when the dealership calls me back.

Is there anything else that I should really know about the A4 cars? My Dad is constantly saying how wary he is about buying a car with over 100k miles on it, and how in the past his (crappy GM & other domestics) have just shutdown at 100k miles. I'm really fond of Audi's, but I would hate to be defending them all this time, get a car, and then have something happen to it, you know?

Also, the car is in Michigan and I live in Pennsylvania. I was told that even if the car is Michigan inspected, I will have to get it re-inspected when it crosses state borders. Is this true? Does anyone have any more information concerning this?

Thanks.

Old 07-12-2005, 01:27 AM
5th Gear

You're name have anything to do with the porsche? If so, the audi is a step up in quality/reliability

Old 07-12-2005, 01:29 AM
1st Gear

Hahah - Yes, it does. I'm in LOVE with the Porsche 944 S2/S2 Turbos. One of my favorite automobiles.

Quick Reply: Mileage Question