Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Might be interested in an Audi, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 11:24 AM
1st Gear

I have been the proud owner of an '06 a4Q 2.0T for one year and 15k miles. It now shows 35k on the clock and have had no problems with it other than a bad coil pack the day after I brought it home. Shorted out, due to water that had seeped into the connector and would not run. DO NOT PRESSURE WASH THE ENGINE! Other than that, LOVE THE CAR. My wife drives it every chance she gets, she says it is "zippy". Not a "bus" like her CX9. Her next car just might be an A4.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:51 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by T_W
I have kept up on maintenance.

Maintenance will not prevent a design flaw in the engine coils (which were eventually recalled for all 2002 A4s and Passats) from causing a coilpack to go on you while you are en-route to the airport and late for a flight.

Maintenance will not prevent *both* horns from simultaneously failing, leaving you with no horn when an approaching driver is looking the other way.

Maintenance will not prevent your washer pump system from failing because the factory installed the wrong fuse.

Maintenance will not prevent leaks in every conduit of the engine cooling system.

Maintenance will not prevent the failure of the coolant pump rendering the car undriveable.

Maintenance will not prevent a design flaw to the plenum drain causing damage to the underside of the car.

Maintenance will not prevent failures of the ABS computer.

Maintenance will not pervent the driver side airbag from failing to deploy in a crash.

Maintenance will not prevent the service manager at the dealership from trying to convince you to buy a 2007 pre-owned model rather than getting a repair done because the '02 unit is a "problem child".

If you like to tinker, have the money, and don't mind cleaning up other peoples mistakes feel free. Yes it can go 120 MPH.

If you actually want to have a car that goes a significant amount of time without having something wrong with it, look elsewhere.

If you don't feel like paying top dollar for a car riddled with design, and manufacturing mistakes, look elsewhere.
I'm curious, if you hate your Audi so much why did you join a forum dedicated to... Audi?

Old 02-03-2009, 09:28 PM
T_W
1st Gear

Originally Posted by kayakman13
I'm curious, if you hate your Audi so much why did you join a forum dedicated to... Audi?
I was trying to determine the root cause of the BRAKE light in my instrument panel flashing RED with a beeping sound and if the car was safe to drive since the light had gone out.

This time, it was a frozen parking brake cable. Yet another problem. Dealer was trying to get me to replace the rear rotors because of this.

This is the third time in for service within a month and the second time it has had to be towed to the dealer in a month. I can't tell you how many times it has traveled out of my driveway on the back of a flatbed tow truck.

I saw the original poster's question and wanted to warn him. I just wish someone had warned me before I bought this POS.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:12 AM
T_W
1st Gear

Hilarious!

I've had the car home from the shop for 3 days after the brake cable debacle and now the check engine light is on. The car will spend more time in the shop this month then on the road.

Veekay, if you do decide to buy an Audi, this is your future. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:29 PM
Site Moderator

like I said - lemon... You going to the same shop to get all your work done? Perhaps someone else is in order.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:33 PM
1st Gear

haha hmm i keep bringing my audi to the same place and it keeps breaking. Obviously you've got some money TW so heres wut you do:
1) Ask around on the forum if anyone in your area knows a reputable Audi mechanic
2) Go to this mechanic and tell him you want to have him do a once over on your car and make sure EVERYTHING is working correctly.
3) Sell your car, buy a Civic and leave us alone.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:22 PM
1st Gear

Wow...lots of horror stories. I heard many of them before and was EXTREMELY skeptical before I bought my '97 a4 1.8t quat about a month ago, but after doing a lot of research--and finding out that the dealership owner's son was going to get the car so lots of extra maintenance work was done to it--I decided to give it a shot.

It previously had two owners, both 30 some year old adults who drove the car gently (obviously, since the interior, exterior, and engine compartment are in fantastic shape), it saw almost no snow/salt (I live in Northeast Ohio), and it received regular fluid/oil/filter changes as well as maintenance work at the correct intervals. Plus, the dealership re-sealed axels, differentials, did the timing belt/tensioner, etc. and replaced all filters, did coolant flush and oil change with full synth.

Quite a deal! Anyway, the one problem I'm having is that sometimes the brake and ABS lights kick on and stay on, despite ABS still working correctly and the parking brake being disengaged. Any ideas on that one?

Last edited by lawsuit_boy; 02-12-2009 at 09:59 AM.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:02 PM
Site Moderator

Hi LawsuitBoy

I am just now rectifying that same ABS/brake Light problem.

When the ABS light and the flashing brake light come on simutaneously, it means a critical solder point in the ABS module has come loose, and the vibrations of the car are making it temporarily separate from the contact point. Eventually the solder point will separate and stay that way. Your ABS will no longer work and you will have to have the ABS module replaced or rebuilt.

Unfortunately, I do not think the module for a '97 can be rebuilt, only the 98's and up. Check with http://www.Modulemaster.com to make sure.

This is a common problem with the Bosch ABS modules, not just an Audi issue.

Last edited by brrman; 02-11-2009 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:45 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by brrman
Hi LawsuitBoy

When the ABS light and the flashing brake light come on simutaneously, it means a critical solder point in the ABS module has come loose, and the vibrations of the car are making it temporarily separate from the contact point. Eventually the solder point will separate and stay that way. Your ABS will no longer work and you will have to have the ABS module replaced or rebuilt.

Unfortunately, I do not think the module for a '97 can be rebuilt, only the 98's and up. Check with http://www.Modulemaster.com to make sure.
That's odd. I'll definitely keep that in mind when I have someone look at it. Although my brake light doe not blink, but simply stays lit solid like the ABS light. Does that mean it might just be a slight electrical hiccup, or is it essentially the same problem with the abs module?

Old 02-12-2009, 10:13 AM
Site Moderator

Well, there's always the chance that it could be something else. Yours being a 97, I am not sure what the exact symptoms would be. Have the car read for codes. If the VAG can't connect to the module then you know it is dead.

Quick Reply: Might be interested in an Audi, need advice