Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Middle of Timing Belt job...help please! UPDATE, I still suck.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 06:56 PM
1st Gear
Default Middle of Timing Belt job...help please! UPDATE, I still suck.

Ok, I've been using the instructions from Audiworld, but they are for the 1.8L (and I have a 2.8 30v), and I think I'm at a part that diverges in the woods.

Here's what I'm lookin' at:

I know I have to get that stinkin' serpentine belt off next, but can't find a dang spring loaded tensioner! Can anyone point me to the next step, I am very nervous about having the car this far 'apart'....and want to watch the game tomorrow, so this can't take all weekend!

Thanks.

Old 02-04-2006, 07:10 PM
dan
2nd Gear
Default RE: Middle of Timing Belt job...help please!

Have you looked at this one?
VW/Audi 2.8 V6 Timing Belt/Water Pumpl

Old 02-04-2006, 07:24 PM
1st Gear

Holy crap, now I am more confused than ever.

Old 02-04-2006, 07:30 PM
1st Gear

here ya go bud, i put a large red box around the 17mm hex that you turn to loosen the bolt, its not a bolt though its just to move the tensioner, so push down on it (clockwise) and it will loosen tension on belt so you can pull it off

[IMG]local://upfiles/8924/80C999BCA43C4643927D8334A4138AC8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-04-2006, 07:33 PM
1st Gear

Right on man, I tried muscling that thing around a bit, but it only budged a mm or 2, not nearly enough to slip the belt off. I'm going to go give it hell. Thanks for the help.

Old 02-04-2006, 09:05 PM
1st Gear

Wow this is spiralling like crazy. But if it wasn't for the people on here, I would be WAY more worried.

Here's where I'm at now:

Some questions, as the 1.8T writeup from AW is seriously not on the same page as I am.

1) How do I get the fan backing off (green arrows) There is a nut in between the back of that and the pulley, but when I get a wrench on it, it just spins independently of the fan back. I took out the longish bolts right beneath it, but it won't break free, I assume there's another one behind the fan back. I'm guessing I need to get all this jazz out of the way to do the water pump anyway.

2) The tensioner pulley (red arrows), does that all come off at this point, or should I try to lock the cams with the bar that I rented (purple)? I would think not, since I wouldn't be able to get the belt off with the bar on there...but there are no timing marks on the sprockets as is, or the edge of the valve covers. I really don't want to screw this stuff up, and have yet to find a comprehesive writeup for the 30V V6.

Man I am going to be a pro once this is all over...

Old 02-04-2006, 09:20 PM

right go right, never the other way, or else say good byu to the heads. I saw so many good cars die becouse idiots put tensioner the wrong way. to tight the belt go right, there is a hex bolt on side and in the tensioner, one is the holder/locker the other is a tension helper, older/some cars have just two holes in there, its a PITA to tight them up. You will need extra heands to tighten the belt back on.

Okey,
take the red thing off.
mark the gears head to a simple position, like put a marker so you would know whick way is up.
put purple thing back on.
on the green, look inside for any bolts, and take them off.

READ MY CRAP THAT I WROTE. MY WEB SITE
You put the purple over the head gears. It helsp to realine the heads.

PM me or IM me I did it. I Can help.
DO NOT RUSH AND DO IT RIGH WAY.

Old 02-05-2006, 01:27 AM
1st Gear

the fan clutch that you indicated in green needs to come off the engine, you need to remove the clutch from the pulley which requires a spanner wrench to hold the pulley and then turn the wrench clockwise to loosen the fan as is reverse threads. then you will see there is quite a few holes on the pulley for the clutch fan that were you used with the spanner wrench, there is 2 alan bolts undernath the pulley to get to and the others it looks like you have already removed from the pic but if not they are quite visable to the eye, then that entire pulley comes off, then from there its quite easy, just make sure your at TDC and have crank locking tool installed, and then undo idler, and tensioner and replace, then loosen bolt holding cam gears to cams and pull off gear with 3 jaw puller, then reinstall gear and hand tighten bolt to point where the cam gears are not extremely loose but turn freely on the camshafts, and then replace water pump making sure u get all old gasket material off and replace t-stat as this is very good time to get this done, then install belt over everything as exactly how its pictured above, and the use the cam holding tool after you route the belt to hold the cams in position, i belive the 30v uses a spring or hydralic type tensioner so when you pull the pin on it it will tension the belt up for you, tighten the camshaft bolts down to seat the cam gears back down and tighten the tensioner then turn the motor over a couple times by hand make sure all you bolts torqued up to spec for tensioners and such and then throw it all back together.

Old 02-05-2006, 02:41 AM
2nd Gear

i hope you kept taking pictures during this whole process so you can make a more helpful tutorial since the one on AW isnt helpful apparently