Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual tranny and short shifter questions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 11:32 PM
1st Gear
Default Manual tranny and short shifter questions...

I've been reading through some of the older threads that I searched but I'm getting a lot of contradictory information so I hope you guys don't mind me starting a new thread on this subject.

I know there are a billion different brands of short shifters out there and I'm wondering what is the general consensus on which one is the best. I've only ever heard of the Neuspeed and the B&M one that AWE offers. I just read something about a stratmosphere? I'm thinking the B&M one from AWE sounds good enough. What do you guys think?

Also my next question is, is this a good DIY for someone who has never even changed their car's oil? (Oil was just changed but as soon as it needs it done again I'm gonna do it). Are there any risks in installing a short shifter any possible extra wear on the tranny?

Old 08-10-2006, 12:12 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Manual tranny and short shifter questions...

$42 ebay short shifter... I installed mine and it is a godsend. It's a knockoff of the B&M kit but the quality is fine and the install was fairly straightforward.

Old 08-10-2006, 12:14 AM
2nd Gear

I haven't installed a short shifter before , but I checked out some basic directions and it doesn't look too complicated.

http://www.dieselgeek.com/earlyb5.htm

DIY jobs are really about what you are comfortable doing yourself. Its great doing things yourself, but you are better off paying someone to do it rather than messing it up and ruining something on your car in the process. Changing your oil is really simple, but if you don't do it right (stupid stuff like not reinstalling plug, never changing filter, adding too much or too little oil) you could destroy your engine. Whenever I am a little nervous about tackling a project myself, I just get one of my car buddies to come over and give me a hand. You should be able to do it as long as you have some kind of mechanical apptitude.

Old 08-10-2006, 01:11 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: wood_e

$42 ebay short shifter... I installed mine and it is a godsend. It's a knockoff of the B&M kit but the quality is fine and the install was fairly straightforward.
so you haven't had any problems? i was wondering about those, i mean how poorly can they make an 8 inch lever?

ebay ss?????
thumbs up or thumbs down?

Old 08-10-2006, 01:25 AM
3rd Gear

Man I installed the SS on Saturday and I love it. Compared to the stock shifter its really solid. The pivot ball is plastic on the OEM shifter. The pieces are quality and everything fit fine. Search my name and ebay and I have a post on it with a few tips.

PS: Thats too much for the kit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-01...19477277QQrdZ1

^ check there.

Old 08-11-2006, 03:48 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: wood_e

Man I installed the SS on Saturday and I love it. Compared to the stock shifter its really solid. The pivot ball is plastic on the OEM shifter. The pieces are quality and everything fit fine. Search my name and ebay and I have a post on it with a few tips.

PS: Thats too much for the kit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-01...19477277QQrdZ1

^ check there.
i need the b6 6spd kit so that may be why it's a lil more pricey.

Old 08-11-2006, 03:57 AM
1st Gear

dont feel scared to spend a little money on quality dont go to ebay and buy parts do it right and get it from a well known brand and tested.

cause im sure if something happens if u got it off ebay they wouldnt do anything if something were to happen to the part that you have purchased

but thats just my opinion do what you want just giving some advice from my mistakes.

Old 08-11-2006, 04:17 AM
1st Gear

Adam- normally I'd agree with you 100% but (someone mentioned this already) the OEM part is actually plastic so I think I'll get one of those ebay ones (save $150.00) as I haven't read anything bad about them yet and it's true metal>plastic so I figure it's an upgrade no matter what.

Old 08-11-2006, 06:09 AM

ive got mine for 25 bucks on ebay too and got it installed on tuesday. amazing what 25 bucks can do to this car

Old 08-11-2006, 05:16 PM
1st Gear

Well i really wasnt talking about OEM, but i get your point and i wouldnt put plastic on my car either.

Quick Reply: Manual tranny and short shifter questions...