Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual tranny

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 01:02 AM
1st Gear
Default Manual tranny

So i started my car on friday and went to put it in 1st gear but it just wouldnt go. i tried 2nd 3rd reverse all of them and i just couldnt get my stick to get into any gears. So i stopped my car, opened my hood and checked some fluid levels. then i noticed kind of a hissing noise from what seems like some vaccuum lines. after a few seconds the hiss faded away. i got back in my car, started it, reved my engine a little bit and suprisingly it went into gear. i droveto my girlfriendsno problem. I spent the weekend in reno and kinda forgot about the problem till i got back. i started my car and once again i couldnt get it into gear. i rolled the car a bit, revved my engine,checked my levels, and just couldnt get it in gear. so I pushed as hard as i could and it barely engaged into 1st. i let off my clutch slowly like usual and the car moved fine. Then i had to once again, wrestle it into 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th. I got it home somehow. One note is that when i came to a stop sign i depressed my clutch and leftthe transmissionin 1st gear, like usual. as i slowed to a stop my engine felt like it was gonna die. so i'm thinking that when i depress my clutch it's not fully taking it out of gear. which would explain why my car wont go into gear. for the true feeling of what i mean go out and drive your car and everytime you shift, dont push your clutch in. even in first. so after looking at the set up of our hydraulic system i think that either my clutch master cyclinder or my clutch slave cylinder is bad. Its too cold and i have a final to study for so i cant put too much time into it tonite but i would like to get cracking on it tuesday and figure my problem out. any help from you guys would be great. and when/if i figure my problem out i'll let everyone know. i did a search and couldnt find any info on this kind of clutch problem. everyone else seems to just burn their clutch out. Thanks Guys.

Old 12-18-2006, 03:36 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Manual tranny

your pressure plate might have snapped causing it to push the disk against the flywheel, it could also be that the disk itself snapped. It could also be that the fork has bent or it popped out of the socket or even a bad throw out bearing.

BTW when the car is off is it easy to put the car into each gear but while the engine is running is very hard if at all and car creeps when you do get it into gear?[/align]

Old 12-18-2006, 04:09 AM
1st Gear

Interesting question... I just checked and when the car is not running it goes into gear fairly easily. it seems to get stuck about half way in and then kinda pops into gear. My car is on jack stands right now with the front wheels up. so after i checked it when the car was off i started it to see if the problem was still there. when i put it into first gear it was a little hard to put it in gear but it actually engaged fully. problem is, i had my clutch fully depressed and my wheels started to spin. as soon as i took it out of gear, the wheels slowed and then stoppped. put it in gear again and my wheels spun slowly again(btw my car FWD so i knew it wouldnt go flying into my house). i guess my clutch is not fully disengaging... what could this mean? i read that we cant adjust our clutches due to the fact that they're hydraulic. any truth there?also my break fluid reservoir is full so that isnt the problem.(always check fluid levels first newbs.)i guess i need to see if my master cylinder and slave cylinder are functioning properly. but Audi likes to bury $hit so my car is gonna be in pieces again... Thanks for the help so far Sean.

Old 12-18-2006, 04:19 AM
2nd Gear

there is a lot of different reasons why your clutch isn't engaging. you won't be able to fully diagnose it unforunately until you take everything apart as you pointed out.. good old Audi's eh... good luck with it, sometimes it can be a simple fix and sometimes it can be bad.. luckily you are fwd so if you end up taking out your trans it will be pretty easy.. report back when you find anything new..

and yes our clutches are hydraulic so no adjustability

oh and btw, if you change your "[IMG]" to ~ [IMG] your picture sig will work

Old 12-18-2006, 02:46 PM
1st Gear

Thanks again Sean. Looks like the tranny's coming out... damnit! So my next question is how hard is it to get my transmission out? Should i just take it to a shop and take the hit to the wallet? or should i do it myself? i havea fair amount of mechanical ability, i changed my alternator and timing belt and what not myself but never tackled a transmission b4. This Sux....