Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual deployment of rollbars on convertible.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 04:03 AM
Default Manual deployment of rollbars on convertible.

Here's the issue...

I've gone and spent a lot of money on an S4 ragtop. It is a sin to have a nice, fast car and not actually take it out and really stretch its legs. Alas, California Highway Patrol seems to take a dim view of people driving around here in the triple-digits, and I really could do without the tickets.

And so we come to track days, and non-professional racing/speed clubs and the ilk. Alas, also being in California, and thus Lawyer Central, they appear to object to convertibles running around because of rollover accident and liability issues, etc, etc. The exception is if they are driven with the hoops already deployed.

Which is where my question comes in. Dealer says that they can deploy the rollbars for me, but this results in my traversing CA with the bars up, and the roof down. I might be able to set the thing off at the track by trying to convince the car that it's rolling over. Anyone know at what angle/speed combination this occurs, and suggest a way it might be achieved? Alternatively, can I touch a red wire to a blue wire somewhere and set them off? Or is it a ratchet that can somehow be cranked?

You get the idea.
Suggestions welcome.

NTM

Old 07-01-2005, 05:38 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Manual deployment of rollbars on convertible.

I can't believe that your actually considering this.. LMAO. I am a humble man & do not judge strangeness so I think this may help you. LOL
I think its once the car is beyond the point of no return (theoretically) 45 degrees they will deploy, however I am not sure if you need to be moving? I would say at the very least the ignition would have to be on (possible engine running).

Please keep in mind the cost to re-set these. I know on a Beamer it is crap loads of $$$ to re-set them. Look into this first. Do you know if you can close the roof with them up?

Old 07-01-2005, 09:04 AM
1st Gear

Be careful here, some of the roll bars that deploy on mercs actually damage trim etc to emerge so you might end up with a similar bill to replace alot more than you bargained for.

A convert isn't for the track anyway, if you want a track car buy a tin top.

Old 07-01-2005, 01:09 PM

1) I'm not in this for competition. If I was, I'd have gotten the hard-top, as mentioned. That doesn't mean to say that you can't run a convertible on track for fun. The thing still does a stupidly fast speed, after all, and I just want to stretch its legs.

2) The bars don't damage the trim. There are little lift-out flaps for the bars to emerge from.

3) They don't cost anything to reset. Indeed, the manual shows you how to reset them yourself (No tools or equipment required) if they accidently deploy.

NTM

Old 07-01-2005, 10:47 PM
1st Gear

Damn lawyers...Now there's a story I don't like...I just got an '05 A4 Cab, and I'm planning on running it at Sears Point (ya,ya Infineon, whatever..) this fall. What track are you referring to? I'm wondering if it varies from track to track, or is this some freakin, new state ordinace...I just made a call to my buddy who's at a local Audi dealer, and that's a new one on him. I tried to check with the srevice mngr (good guy!), but he's aready gone for the long weekend. There's also a renowned Audi performace shop near here (2Bennett, Davis ca) that may know?
I'm going to be looking into this like you, lets see what we can find out.

PS.."A convert isn't for the track anyway" LOL LOL!
I've run a bunch in the last 35 years in autocrosses and SCCA regionals...geeezzz..

Old 07-02-2005, 05:11 AM

u could also just put a rollbar in the car. But if u wanted to track it u should have gotten a track car. THere are ways to gte convertibles on the track just u need some money and be willing. http://www.redlinetrackevents.com/event_info.html they say the rules for running with a convert.

Old 07-02-2005, 05:21 AM
2nd Gear

I agree, I don't think there is any room for convertibles on any track & if you wanted to track it for fun or racing you shoulda got a tintop but thats just my opinion. 45 degrees should pop them up but I really wouldn't wanna do that all the time. I would search for a manual & see how to manually release them. If it can be put back together easily they should be able to deploy easy enough.

Old 07-02-2005, 05:40 AM

i would think that the audi mechics at the dealership would know how to deploy them, put coverts. are made for cruising not racing. U never see any perfessional racing use convertible b/c teh belong on the street not the track.

Old 07-02-2005, 05:45 AM
2nd Gear

Good luck getting an Audi mechanic to tell you anything.

Old 07-02-2005, 05:54 AM

try a certified audi mechanic thats not at the dealer

Quick Reply: Manual deployment of rollbars on convertible.