Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Malfunctioning LCD display

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 02:38 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Malfunctioning LCD display

mine has done it twice now. one day it stops working then it comes back. ive looked on ebay for instrument panels. could i just buy one of those in replace mine?

Old 02-16-2006, 02:42 AM
2nd Gear

Very interesting! I'm glad I've been reading up on this ****. With the screen fading out coupled along with several other very common problems, I am about to start considering looking at a different car. Although I'm sure all cars have their problems this **** is just starting to sound way too expensive. What do you guys think?

Old 02-16-2006, 03:21 AM
2nd Gear

Yeah man, just like you have your picture.

Old 02-16-2006, 04:27 PM
2nd Gear

So I just spoke with the stealership...

I described the problem and said that this seems to be a fairly common problem with Audis...she said she "had never heard of a problem like that with the LCD display" so that's strike one. She had no suggestions for troubleshooting, said the technicians would have to take a look at it.

Since I'm still under extended warrenty, I asked if this would be covered. Again, she didn't know, they'd have to diagnose the problem first. I asked under what circumstances it WOULDN'T be covered, and again she says that depends on the cause of the problem...so strike two.

Taking it on Monday for them to look at...hopefully it clears itself up before then (haha, sounds like a case of herpes), but if they tell me I'm stuck paying for it, that's strike three and I'll be pretty pissed. From everyone else's previous experience with this...how screwed am I?

Note: I have no intention of paying the dealership to fix anything.

Old 02-16-2006, 05:26 PM
Site Moderator

ORIGINAL: KiloByte

Very interesting! I'm glad I've been reading up on this ****. With the screen fading out coupled along with several other very common problems, I am about to start considering looking at a different car. Although I'm sure all cars have their problems this **** is just starting to sound way too expensive. What do you guys think?
I think you should buy a Kia.

Old 02-21-2006, 03:45 PM

my '99 avant A6 has a problem with the cluster info display. i've heard of a class action suit against audi for this, but in the UK, not US.
any body have any info on that?

Old 02-21-2006, 06:24 PM
6th Gear

Have not heard anything about that on this forum.

Old 02-22-2006, 12:10 AM
2nd Gear

Yeah, as a follow-up....mine fixed itself. The button now works.

And no snide remarks about not trying the button first, 'cause i definitely did :-) It has been exceptionally cold recently...i'm not saying that's whats caused it, but its the only variable I can think of.

Oh well...

Old 02-22-2006, 12:22 AM
5th Gear

Thats cool man i wish mine would just up and fix itself

Old 08-09-2006, 09:26 PM
1st Gear

My 2000 A6 is a mess as well. It started with the trip computer losing two lines - everything bright as gold, except two lines. Now a dozen lines of "turned off" and a section appears to be blury (the bottom tiptronic).

One thing I have noticed is that when the engine is cool, more of the display is on. So, running the AC improves the display although never 100%, but definitely and perceivably improved.

Quick Reply: Malfunctioning LCD display