Audi A4 The Audi A4 model offers nimble handling and performance that makes it one of the leading cars in its class. Read more about the Audi A4 in the Audi A4 review.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF and poor gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 05:35 AM
1st Gear
Default MAF and poor gas mileage

I recently installed a K&N and it seems like my gas mileage has gone down. I searched and the only thing I came up with was the common troubleshooting section where it talks about the MAF getting covered in oil when you install the air filter. My question is, is this easy to clean, and do I need to keep cleaning it, or is it usually just a one time fix? Thanks

Old 09-13-2006, 05:56 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: MAF and poor gas mileage

Hmmm.

That seems like a good question.
I'd like to know the answer as well.

+1 to the OP.

Old 09-13-2006, 06:16 AM
2nd Gear

lol why do i hear this all the time....? Wait till you have to recharge it... it will be even worse... That is why you dont get a K&N filter is because of this.. (mainly the drop ins) anyways to keep it short and simple to clean you maf is an easy yet time consuming task... Take it out of the air box youll see a wire... That reads your air/fuel mixture... It will be covered in this junk (oil from you filter) ... See that wire heats up to a really hot temp just before you turn off your engine everytime...However it connot burn of the oil that the K&N uses to trap dust particles... So when it gets on the wire you have to get a Q tip and some rubbing alcohol dip the Q tip in the rubbing alchy then lightly brush that wire to get off the **** of it... Tip of advice get rid of the filter.... For no noticble gains and more dirt in your engine it is not worth it... keep using your paper filter Or get an evoms or a carbino however you spell it.. it will sound cool and get the job done.... If you dont believe me... when you take out the maf out of the air box take the filter and hold it up to the light... you can see through it... imagine all the dirt that goes into your enigine... and then dirties your oil.... and soon fvcks up your engine...sorry for typos i just dont give a fvck

Old 09-13-2006, 06:22 AM
2nd Gear

I had a K&N in my car from (approx.) miles 1,200 - Miles 2,400 and then installed the Carbonio and sold the K&N.

Do you think I should bother checking the MAF for what you described, or is that such a minimal amount of time that it shouldn't matter?

Old 09-13-2006, 06:26 AM
2nd Gear

evoic didnt we go into this before lol... 1k aint going to hurt it... then again how is you car running??? they come pretty oiled up when you get them.. at least thats how mine came... If i was in your shoes i would check it just to be safe... Its easy for you sense you got the carbonio.

Old 09-13-2006, 07:09 AM

7. Will a K&N filter cause my vehicle’s mass air sensor to fail?

At this time, K&N is unaware of any evidence that K&N air filter oil from a K&N air filter can damage or cause the malfunction of a MAF sensor, regardless of the make of the vehicle involved. K&N takes seriously any claim that one of its products is incompatible with its designated application or can damage or cause the malfunction of any automotive component. Such claims are thoroughly investigated and, when appropriate, testing is undertaken to determine their merit. In the case of MAF sensors, ongoing tests have shown that contamination from K&N air filter oil has not caused any failures or malfunctions of the MAF sensors in the test vehicles. K&N is aware that MAF sensors can become contaminated for a variety of reasons, unrelated to a K&N air filter (such as backfiring, blowby, leaking airbox or leaking intake duct) and that various methods have been used by some service departments and repair shops to clean a dirty or contaminated MAF sensor, such as spraying with an appropriate cleaner. K&N has not completed any tests as to the efficacy of such a process and, therefore, does not officially endorse or recommend any cleaning process. However, if given the choice of either replacing a MAF sensor or cleaning it, K&N recommends that the consumer ask his or her automotive dealer to attempt cleaning, before replacement. It should be noted that the presence of contamination does not mean the contamination was the cause of the MAF sensor failure. Sensors can fail for electrical or mechanical reasons, unrelated to any visible contamination.

Old 09-13-2006, 07:15 AM

cleaning instructions

http://www.lbcarco.com/cgi-bin/gen5?...l&o=&a=&t=_top

Old 09-13-2006, 07:18 AM
2nd Gear

cool man.. Im just going by personal experince and what others said had the same problem as me... I believe K&N makes great filters!(i have one on my saturn) they are just not good for our cars as far as im concerned hints the oil from the filter gets on the wire that makes reading that gets sent to the ecu which then calculates air and fuel mixture... and for the cleaning part hes talking about this maf not his K&N

Old 09-13-2006, 12:30 PM
Zombie Defense Force

fyi if you maf is fried dont tell audi you have a k&n becuase the will not give you a new maf under warrenty

Old 09-13-2006, 12:34 PM
Site Moderator

I have had a K&N in my last two A4's with absolutely no problems.

You can clean the MAF by removing it and placing it in a large ziplock. Pour in some rubbing alcohol and zip it up - shake it around LIGHTLY for a minute and then remove it from the bag. Let the alcohol completely dry off and reinstall.

Quick Reply: MAF and poor gas mileage